Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt for a broken heart and some advise needed. >

A quilt for a broken heart and some advise needed.

A quilt for a broken heart and some advise needed.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM

I would add a picture, being a dog lover myself I would treasure a pic of my pet
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
A close friend's daughter was going on her daily walk with one of her dogs. While they were out enjoying the secenery the dog fell to the ground and died instantly and the girl had to carry her dead fur baby back to the house.
The vet said that it was a heart attack, the dog was only 5 yrs of age.

Anyway, her mom told me that she liked to curl up on the couch with both dogs and snuggle into a blanket which I was told is very old, worn and has rips and tears in it.

I am making this quilt (mom knows) for her and hopefully she will see fit to use it with her remaining dog.
(pictur of the top which iI finished this morningis is below)

My question is this....do you think it would be a good idea or not to include something about her deceased fur baby. She gave me a picture of him and I could transfer it on to fabric and sew it on the back with the name and dates of birth and death?

Thanks for you opinions!
I would say YES, do it!

My retired service dog died very unexpectedly less than a month ago and my life still feels empty. I'd looked forward to 2-4 years of babying him for all the years he took care of me and to lose him like that felt like my heart had been ripped from my body.

Nothing will ever make your friend's daughter forget her shock or grief. Feeling like other people understand and share those feelings is the only real comfort there is.

It would be a beautiful memorial and I am sure she would treasure it even more.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM

What a wonderful thing. We lost our beloved Katje Annika (red, smooth 12 yr old Dachsie) four years ago, and still we grieve even tho we still have three (all elderly) babies. I would have loved a quilt with a pic of Katje on the label.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

The quilt is lovely, and I think adding a picture of her beloved "fur" baby would be a special touch. My heart goes out to that little girl and the pain she must be going through now. I don't think I would add dates, just the picture with perhaps your name with love or some such sentiment. Double check with her mother, as she would know best what would be appropriate. Again, my heart goes out to that little girl, it's always so hard to lose a beloved pet.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM

I agree with picture and name, omitting the dates
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by caspoohbear
I agree with picture and name, omitting the dates
I have been following this thread throughout the day and I just thought of something. This child is five years old. She just lost her pet. It won't mean a thing to her with the birth and death date at her age, but later, when she does more understand life and death, the date will mean everything to her. Like I said earlier, September 10, 2001 will never be forgotten. The quilt is what will mean the most to her now, but she will have the dates for later.

It is just my thinking while I am sewing on a quilt. Edie
Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Absolutely include the fur baby! The picture idea is great, but if that isn't to be done, at least embroider fur baby's name on the quilt. Our animals are as much a part of our lives as people and of course my fur baby believes she is people. Thank you for doing this for her. She will cherish it.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:23 PM

yes, I would make the label with her dog's picture. It's a very nice quilt you've made!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM

OHHH I feel so bad for this girl: I don't know what I would do if that happened to me and my dog:: U sure a wonderful person to give this quilt but I would check w/her Mom in reference to the pic etc. Each person is different in their grief::
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Picture would be good.