Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you make "bundles" in your stash? >

Do you make "bundles" in your stash?

Do you make "bundles" in your stash?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 AM

One of my favorite parts of quilting is picking fabrics that I like together. I love this so much that I have made "bundles" of fabric for future quilts. Besides my regular piles of fabrics in my stash, I have over 60 "bundles" ready to make quilts. I even made a small notebook with samples of different "focus" fabrics to match up fabrics when on quilting trips so I could make more bundles when I got home. I just gave my mom a few of my bundles so she could make more quilts and within minutes, I made new bundles to fill the holes on my bundle shelves! I'm not sure it's the best use of my stash however, since I would have so many more fabrics to choose from if they were not already bundled! I tend to end up with more focus fabrics and not enough blenders, but I think many of my blenders are in those bundles! So, I always think I need to buy more blenders. Maybe I need to unbundle some of them! But they just go together sooooo well! LOL
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 AM

I do that also, except I just refer to it as coordinated (they go together well but are not from the same line/mfg) fabric. Then when I have a quilt I want to make, I look at my coordinated fabric to see if it will work with the pattern. And then there is my stash......
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM

I put fabrics that go together in a clear bin and put the pattern, book in with it or write a note what they are there for
i think it is a good idea :thumbup:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I have this but not to the extreme you do. I have about 5 bundles but I will not hesitate to raid from them if a perfect blender for a current WIP is in there. I have also swapped out blenders when I discover a more recently purchased fabric plays much nicer with the others than something I had bundled in orginally. My bundles have a quilt pattern picked out for some of them already. I have fabs picked out that are destined for a sampler, a storm at sea, a MC medallion type quilt, dizzy geese and then I have a few bundles that I have some ideas but haven't decided on the pattern.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM

I do that too. Usually I'll pick a focus fabric then watch for fabrics that match. Occasionally I'll pull a fabric from one bundle to go with something else. Most of my stash is bundles. I don't see it as a problem. It's the way I like to work.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

I did this for a while..and then ended up like you...wondering where all those blenders went that I knew I had just bought...eventually I got over the whole bundle thing..I have maybe 3 sets that were actually bought as a group to use together, and that is it...the rest are fair game as I can not afford to pay $10 for fabric...especially for Hobby lobby fabric!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 AM

I do it when I find a pattern I want to make. I go through my stash first to find what I want to use, if I have all the fabric I need I tie fabric, pattern, notes, and anything else I think I may need into a bundle using red Christmas ribbon. If I need to buy fabric for the project it is tied with a white ribbon after fabric samples are taken, The samples with a photo copy of pattern, an needed yardage are put in a small note buck I carry with me all the time. Works for me Just counted, I have 1 red and 3 white bundles, I will start on the red bundle next Monday I work from my bundles first I don't let them just sit there, I must have a plan for them. My red bundle is a thank you to a young man getting out of the Army in January the family is having a big welcome home party for him.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 AM

i do this as well but mine are in pizza boxes almost like a kit but i dont buy kits i find them to expensive.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM

I do this all the time. When I am ready to start a new project, that is where I go first. If for some reason it is missing something, then it goes on my "need" list. Next time I am out, I will pick up what is needed, that is if it is not to much $$'s. If it is, then it gets put on the self until I get the funds for it.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

I was so happy to hear I wasn't the only one. I injured my arm in an accident last year and couldn't sew for about a month or so. I spent the time going thru my stash and making cooridnated sets and even have 20 or 30 ziplock bags with fabrics and patterns in them ready to go. I think originally there were about 30 but I slowly whittle them down.