Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do Quilters Have Fewer Divorces? >

Do Quilters Have Fewer Divorces?

Do Quilters Have Fewer Divorces?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 AM

We've been married 37 years. We had a "discussion" a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, my husband needs more attention and would like me to spend less time in my sewing room. What am I supposed to do - sit on the couch and watch sports with him? I'm trying, but it doesn't make me very happy. At least I can knit . . .
Old 09-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

ROFL

Originally Posted by SharBear
Of course, it takes two incomes to support the fabric habit!
Married 26 years to my first husband and still married to him. lol
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 AM

I was married for 26 yrs, divorced 8 yrs now. When I was going through the divorce I was afraid of how it would effect my sons especially the youngest one, the older two were already living on thier own. All 3 said we are normal now, seemed that the majority of thier friends were from divorced families. Who would have thunk it! Still quilt always will I am in a long term relationship now he knows me & my quilting are a package deal! LOL
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 AM

Tell him you will watch Sporting events with him if he will learn to quilt with you! Lots of men quilt! Tell him its a win win for both of you! Just think of the xtra stash you will gain also! LOL

Originally Posted by cindit
We've been married 37 years. We had a "discussion" a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, my husband needs more attention and would like me to spend less time in my sewing room. What am I supposed to do - sit on the couch and watch sports with him? I'm trying, but it doesn't make me very happy. At least I can knit . . .
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Married to the same man for 60 years. Have been quilting for 30 of those years but always had crafts of one sort or another going on prior to that. Hasn't always been easy of course but we managed to hang on and probably will to the end.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Originally Posted by bjeriann
Love this answer. So true!
Not for me. I earned and he spent, and he is the one who said "Get out".
And what did he do once your income was gone? Bet he never thought of that - or he'd found someone else to support his habit!! Had one of those too- except he left me for greener pastures, and found out it was a very muted green! His loss!!! No regrets here! :)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 AM

WOW! Why do some men never grow out of the "Watch me, Mama stage?" Especially when it's watch me watch football, watch me play video games, watch me walk on the treadmill. My patience with the male ego is non existent, which is why I've been happily single for the past 52 years. froggyintexas
Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Teeheehee
Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 AM

I think it just depends. I was dating someone who wanted me to choose between him and quilting. He lost.

So in all subsequent relationships, I told the guy that if he asked me to choose, he would lose. And (while single) I bought a house that was big enough for all of my quilting stuff. So when a guy came into my life, the quilting was established. And I kept going until I found DH who is completely supportive of my habit (and can be an enabler - he drove me to Quilt in a Day and told me to take my time)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
WOW! Why do some men never grow out of the "Watch me, Mama stage?" Especially when it's watch me watch football, watch me play video games, watch me walk on the treadmill. My patience with the male ego is non existent, which is why I've been happily single for the past 52 years. froggyintexas
Heh, I like watching DH play video games. I find them interesting (mostly) but can't play well enough to do even okay, so I will pin or iron while he plays. I usually find video games more engrossing than movies. That's how HE knew I was a keeper :)