Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Some people have commented that the opinions expressed in this post are just that – opinions – and they don’t understand why others feel that the conversation has turned ugly. I’ve been thinking about that and think I can explain.

Let’s pretend that we’re participating in a cooking forum rather than a quilting forum. (That would never happen, because I am NOT a cook. But I can pretend.) Here’s how the posts go…
Poster 1: “I like chili with beans, but I think that too many cooks are putting beans in their chili.”
Poster 2: “I agree”
Poster 3: “I agree, and I also think that they do it because beans are cheap. They make an easy filler.”
Poster 4: “Yeah, I don’t like beans in my chili and I also don’t like it when they use ground beef. Chili should be made with shredded beef. Using ground beef makes it taste greasy.”
Poster 5: “I make my chili with ground beef and it doesn’t taste greasy. I strain off the grease after I brown the meat.”
Poster 6: “Yes, ground beef makes for greasy chili. You can light it with a match.”
Poster 7: “I don’t use beans because they’re cheap. My family likes them. We’re vegetarians and don’t use any meat at all in our chili.”
Poster 8: “I like beans in my chili occasionally, but not all the time. Why do the professional cooks think they have to add them every time? I think it’s because it’s so easy just to open the can and dump them in.”
Poster 9: “I agree.”
Poster 10: “Chili with ground beef is way too greasy, and it’s not good for you. Why not just poison your family and get it over with?”
Poster 5: “I wish this conversation wasn’t getting so ugly.”
Poster 10: “What? We’re just expressing our opinions.”

Well, you get the idea. The cook who puts beans in her chili and uses ground beef has been sufficiently pummeled by now. Her explanation that her chili is not greasy because she drains the meat has fallen on deaf ears. The vegetarian cook has been told that others think she is using beans because they’re cheap and easy. In short, people who “were only expressing their opinion” have unintentionally insulted people who do things in a different way. Underline that word – UNINTENTIONALLY.

You don’t agree? Think about the comments about dense quilting causing quilts that could stand up on their own, or weren’t soft and cuddly, or stiff as cardboard? Those of us who like denser quilting have just been told that our quilts are stiff and uncomfortable. We know it isn’t true – if it were, we wouldn’t quilt them that way.

Again, I agree that no one has intentionally said anything to specifically hurt anyone else. But I make my chili with beans AND ground beef, and it’s not greasy, and I'm not being cheap. (And I’m from Texas originally, and I know that beans don’t belong in chili, but I put them in anyway.)
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I agree. But I also like machine quilting that is less dense, too.
I'm with you on this. And it's just as well, since I do my own quilting and quit when I've had enough!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by carolynjo
Well, I'm going to "have to" weigh in again; the comments were not mean-spirited at all, IMHO. I believe the opinions expressed on the board were merely our own opinions, which we are allowed to make. I did not read anyone's comments that denigrated anyone's work; merely that we preferred less quilting on quilt tops. I hope I haven't misread the comments.
You must have missed some comments, specific quilts were targeted and that IS rude and hurtful.
I guess I missed them too then, because I don't recall anyone mentioning another persons quilt specifically. And why is it rude for someone to say they think to much quilting makes it look like it would stand up on its own? This is what causes hard feelings, she was just expressing her opinion. Stop instigating please!!
Come on, be nice:) Im not instigating at all. Im carrying on conversation as are you all. I have an opinion too :) Specific quilts were targeted/named and that is just not right. No hard feelings here...HAPPY QUILTING TO ALL!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Some people have commented that the opinions expressed in this post are just that – opinions – and they don’t understand why others feel that the conversation has turned ugly. I’ve been thinking about that and think I can explain.

Let’s pretend that we’re participating in a cooking forum rather than a quilting forum. (That would never happen, because I am NOT a cook. But I can pretend.) Here’s how the posts go…
Poster 1: “I like chili with beans, but I think that too many cooks are putting beans in their chili.”
Poster 3: “I agree, and I also think that they do it because beans are cheap. They make an easy filler.”
Poster 4: “Yeah, I don’t like beans in my chili and I also don’t like it when they use ground beef. Chili should be made with shredded beef. Using ground beef makes it taste greasy.”
Poster 5: “I make my chili with ground beef and it doesn’t taste greasy. I strain off the grease after I brown the meat.”
Poster 6: “Yes, ground beef makes for greasy chili. You can light it with a match.”
Poster 7: “I don’t use beans because they’re cheap. My family likes them. We’re vegetarians and don’t use any meat at all in our chili.”
Poster 8: “I like beans in my chili occasionally, but not all the time. Why do the professional cooks think they have to add them every time? I think it’s because it’s so easy just to open the can and dump them in.”
Poster 10: “Chili with ground beef is way too greasy, and it’s not good for you. Why not just poison your family and get it over with?”

Well, you get the idea. The cook who puts beans in her chili and uses ground beef has been sufficiently pummeled by now. Her explanation that her chili is not greasy because she drains the meat has fallen on deaf ears. The vegetarian cook has been told that others think she is using beans because they’re cheap and easy. In short, people who “were only expressing their opinion” have unintentionally insulted people who do things in a different way. Underline that word – UNINTENTIONALLY.

You don’t agree? Think about the comments about dense quilting causing quilts that could stand up on their own, or weren’t soft and cuddly, or stiff as cardboard? Those of us who like denser quilting have just been told that our quilts are stiff and uncomfortable. We know it isn’t true – if it were, we wouldn’t quilt them that way.

Again, I agree that no one has intentionally said anything to specifically hurt anyone else. But I make my chili with beans AND ground beef, and it’s not greasy, and I'm not being cheap. (And I’m from Texas originally, and I know that beans don’t belong in chili, but I put them in anyway.)
Dunster, this is great! Thanks for hopefully turning things around here.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM

sometimes i like beans in my chile and sometimes i don't. it depends on wether it's being served with salad or not. and what brand of beer. :roll: and of course, who's making it matters, too. :lol: :lol:
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 PM

As long as we're discussing what we personally prefer, and not bashing anyone else's preferences - I'm definitely pro-feathers. There are so many ways to make them, and they are always different. I like swirls, vines and leaves, circles, crosshatch, echo quilting, and most other quilting designs, and I think that SID can be remarkably effective. I do not care for meandering, but I understand that many people like it. I don't usually care for pantographs either, but again there's a place and time for them, especially in children's quilts. I like fairly dense quilting too and haven't felt that it made my quilts any less cuddly.
i am in total agreement with you on this one, considering what the new machines can do.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
Wooooooooooooooah, have read all the pages and this is begining to resemble a quilt guild meeting.....ouch !!!
who just kicked me under the table.....

can we all agree to just quilt whatever we like
My thoughts exactly!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM

That was perfect, Dunster (and hilarious)!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I agree. But I also like machine quilting that is less dense, too.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one!!! :D

While the work is beautiful, I've always wondered WHY the quilter feels the need to fill every single inch of the piecers work with another level of art.

If the quilt is made to highlight the quilting, well and good, but most quilts are not intended to be museum pieces in my humble opinion.

I always felt that my feeling was based on envy as I wish I could create the quilting designs they accomplish, but I think in a lot of cases, I prefer simplicity in quilting to highlight the pattern used with the beautiful fabric.

Just me I'm afraid. Sorry LA's....no personal slam intended.
All of you do beautiful work and I'm sure that's what the customer wants.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM

i AGREE SOMETIMES TOO MUCH IS TOO MUCH AND TAKES
AWAY FROM THE PATTERN OF THE QUILT.

AGAIN i GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE PATTERN,