Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 AM

My daughter is making those slippers advertised on Clothide for her staff this year. They love it when the "boss" takes time to make them something.......

For myself, if someone takes the time (with me in mind) to make a gift for me it is priceless and very precious. I like it much more than store bought...............
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 AM

I make many of my gifts. But you have to decide whether the people you're giving to will appreciate a handmade gift (unfortunately, this sometime involves a critical look at your skills) or whether they'd be happier with a gift card, movie pass or "coupon" for perhaps a service or food item you would provide later. So often people will make something for gifts (and perhaps have what we always called the 'loving hands at home' look) and then get all bent out of shape that no one appreciates the time you took. If you can make a gift some one would WANT, do it!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 AM

I always make gifts for my fam and my quilting groups, tote bags, fabric covered boxes, etc they are very much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:55 AM

I think a large number of us here make our Christmas gifts. I cannot imagine that the receiver would think you cheap,especially with what goes into a quilt or any other handmade item.If they think you are cheap, they probably do not deserve your gift (IMHO).
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 AM

I like to make Xmas gifts. One year I made each family table runners and aone year it was quilt-as-go Xmas tree skirts. Although I like them only my daughter MIl haad her pieces out for Xmas. None of the children did. I am just not sure what to do this year.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM

I think a handmade gift from the heart beats the boughten stuff any day!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 AM

My family has a tradition of each person making something for everyone else. Only after we make at least one handmade gift can we start shopping. :)

I'm making mug rugs and giving matching cups. I actually bought the mugs to go on the mug rugs first because when I saw some of them I just KNEW who they had to go to.

DD's birthday is the 15th of December, and we do the same tradition too - so she'll be getting a Thomas the Tank Engine quilt (she picked the fabric out) for her birthday, unless I can't wait and give it to her early. Then she'll get the Disney princess one for the Birthday. One will be her Christmas gift, and the other birthday.

Some ideas I've done in the past:
pillowcases
PJ pants and a matching (purchased) shirt that I embellish
hot pads
table runners
placemats
wall hangings
quilts
Ornaments - use small paper pieced free patterns. They quilt up so NICE!
Scrap-books. I do digital scrapbooking, and I'll scrap pictures from the previous year and burn them all onto a CD so the family can take them wherever and print them. I do mine in 8x10 size so the pages can be put into page protectors and in binders.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 AM

For many years, I have made cookies, candies, and quick breads (anywhere from 15-20 items) and packaged them in Christmas baskets wrapped with cellophane and ribbon. When I started doing this, I made about 25 per year, and they cost around $6 each. I haven't priced them recently, but I'm sure they're still under $10 each.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Look cheap? NOT AT ALL! Most people love handmade gifts and knowing someone has taken the time to create something just for them. There are so many things you can make, from small items like pocket tissue holders to larger ones like tote bags or lap quilts. It's only September so you even have time to think about and then do.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM

We di a blind gift exchange on my side. I plan to make seasonal table runnersMaybe one season on each side. It's faster then a full blown quilt, less expessive and can be enjoyed with more variety. I plan to add some candle sticks made from scrap wood as well- not cheap but creative- we in a world of buy everything bigger and better have stopped giving with the heart- make gifts with your heart and talents- they don't have to be grand either. Another gift we have given i the past is cloth bags with a plastic bag inside filled with the dry ingrediance for a recipe- Don't have time for that. Hit the Dollar sote or other and get items like mints and pretels etc and make up a gift basket