Sour Towel Smell

Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 AM

my towels an washrags smelled so bad you would hate to use them ..i tryed everything ..an i mean everything..to get the smell out ...would even go out an get new ones an wash right after thay where used ..still smelled...something in our well water ...saw about a month ago from arm @hammer ..total 2-1 moist dryer cloths...used it an no more smell ...will use them from now on ..i love them
Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Get the cloth wet and then microwave it for a few minutes. The sour smell is from bacteria and you need to kill it to get the smell out. I microwave dish towels and my kitchen sponges. You can also microwave your toothbrush once or twice a month to kill bacteria instead of tossing it and buying a new one.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 AM

I use the liquid All with the oxiclean, I think it realy helps!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Fill a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide. Spray it until damp or just put it in the washer and dump a bottle of peroxide over it. Make sure it is completely wet, let set for 5 minutes and wash as usual.

Walmart has the large bottles of peroxide for less than 1.00.

What you are smelling is the bacteria trapped in the fibers. The peroxide won't harm the fibers like bleach will. It also rinses clean. I use it for my cycling clothes.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cyniree
Try fresh grass clippings. seal it up with clippings for about 3 days and see if that helps.
........... and next thing she'll be asking is how to remove grass stains!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Hate That!!! I'm to blame...forgot I had a load in the washer.

Read somewhere to use 20 Mule Team Borax. Tried it and it worked like a charm! I used hot water, laundry detergent and the Borax and let them soak for about 1/2 hour.

Hope this helps. = )
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Most people cram their washer FULL of clothes just to get them done, and that is why the oders don't come out. Don't cram them, and see.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
Dry in the sunshine?
Ummmm. I live in the Seattle area! Ha! Ha! We kid we get a week of sunshine. Actually the sun is shining right now, but that is in between the rain clouds. It has been raining off and on for a week.

Right now I am soaking it in the one cup of ammonia with detergent in hot water. I will let you know how it works.
I was thinking the same thing when I read this. It couldn't have been someone from W Washington! Our whole summer was pretty much lousy! I didn't hang out my bed sheets once cause of the rainy summer.

When my son was in karate I would wash his gi in hot water and bleach. Seemed to keep the smell out but once in a while he'd forget to put in clothes hamper for the weekly wash and then it did have that smell. Just did the usual hot water and bleach and it was gone. You might try buying a mesh bag for your husband to bring home so at least it airs out some.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Have you tried Febreeze for fabrics? Works wonders for me
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 AM

My friend's husband had a unine problem and she could not get the smell out of his pants with washing. I told her about ODOBAN wich worked. It eliminates odors, is a disinfectant too. I find mine at Sams's Club. It washes out dog beding smells too.
Jeanne