Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need suggestions for creating a blog >

Need suggestions for creating a blog

Need suggestions for creating a blog

Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM

Default Need suggestions for creating a blog

No blog savvy here but computer skills pretty good. Been counseled to start a blog. Any experienced Long armers who are having success with a particular type of blogging? What is the cheapest and least time consuming way to do it. I need about 24 more hours per day.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned

I have a blog at blogspot.com. They are free. I'm not a longarmer but you're welcome to look if you like. Their site is very easy to use.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: remove business name from post
Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

sorry, can't help you. but i wish you success in your new venture. perhaps a relative or friend can be your assistant to post your thoughts to your blog for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Hi Cindy,
I use Goggle Blogger, it's very easy to use especially if you have computer skills. I blog to keep a virtual diary for all my quilting adventures. I've been quilting for 14 yrs but just these past 3 years have taken it more seriously. I like that I can upload pics and share small tidbits of what was going through my head. Then the next best thing is meeting or connecting to people I would never have met in person. I love comments and followers, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if no one reads it or leaves comments.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 AM

I use Blogger too. I like it. You might also check out Wordpress. I don't know much about it. It seems to have some capability that Blogger doesn't, and vice versa.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Banned

I have a blog via blogspot and a web via wordpress. I prefer the ease of blogspot and even that I had help creating it. Sending you a pm.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: remove business name from post
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

I am considering the same - I am a stay at home mom to 3 french bulldogs and one good husband. I spend most of my time sewing and quilting - have had my longarm for over a year but still trying to master it. I would love to create a blog and show my crazy life and my creations. So glad you asked this question.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Mine is on blogspot too! Mine is free-not sure if they have upgrades..... I started mine so that family could see what was going on with me (us).... It's like writing a letter to your friends or family, but it goes out to just one person. The main thing with the blogs is to get your site out there. The more you blog the increase of having your blog captured with a search. The tags that you add at the end of each of your blogs is one way to be 'captured'. What this means is if I wanted a 'red sweater' and I put that into google or bing search your blog post on 'red sweater' would be one of the choices I could choose to look at. I use multiple 'tags' on each post because it increases the number of 'hits' you could get. Most everything has 'tags' now for this purpose. Also list a collection of blogs all over the world. By adding yourself to these you can increase your exposure and they have good ideas how to build your blog. The best part: FREE! Good luck and when you get up and running add your blog address into your signature line here!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by cindyluwho
Is there a monthly charge for them to host it? Also, I am contemplating an accuquilt. Do you use yours alot?
Thank you! There's no charge for blogging...all free so far! As far as the accuquilt, I love my studio. I use it all the time. I look at patterns and make them up with what I have in my die collection. There is a new adapter to use with the studio to take advantage of the lower cost of the GO dies, but you can only cut 6 layers verses the 10 layers. There are a lot more applique dies for the GO, but I'm not big on applique.

PM me if you need any help starting your own blog! I don't blog as much as I should, just once a week. I have a full time day job so I save all my quilting thoughts for Sunday to post.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM

I am new to blogging and somewhat intimidated so I really appreciate this topic. :-D

Of course, it makes sense that the best place for encouragement is the QB!