Still rather shocked

Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

I'd sure want to know why she needs it and what her credit history is. I hope you don't.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 PM

that is terrible.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 PM

wow!!!! I sure would be carefull of that one
Hey!! if you have that kind of money can I "borrow" some to
Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 AM

SCUMMY! She sounds like the gal that 'borrowed' over $50K from my grandpa years ago, before anyone else in the family knew what was happening. Later found out at least 6 other elderly people were getting scammed by her. Also...NEVER co-sign on a loan unless you are prepared to pay it off yourself.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 AM

I understand what you and your children have been through and I'm pleased you were cared for. Without that security life can be a difficult struggle. God Bless you all.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 AM

Of course I'm not going to give her any money or co-sign, but still.. How can people be so gusty or insensative to the fact that I didn't win the lottery, I lost my husband who made sure that he provided for the kids and I??? I just don't get it..[/quote]

My heart was in my throat until I read this. Thank goodness you didn't loan her that money... you might never see it again. I realize times are tough, but maybe it's time we all learned to, as my grandmother used to say, live with less.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
My guess would be that she thinks a grieving widow with life Ins money is a easy mark. Good for you for being smart and wise. Sorry for your loss, it is hard to believe some one could be so heartless and insensitive at this time.
Not to be negative, but how many others may she have done this to? Funny how people can change character to get what they want and need. (Worked with plenty of those people over the years.) Your story reminds me of the people that check the obituaries then go after the families to get items in the house, or to buy whole house contents and then sell for a profit. Before the grieving process has begun. I know. Happened to us and my DH's mother when she passed. So many came after us wanting this or that that they knew she had in her home. One group of them were waiting for us as we got off the elevator the day she passed. Fighting over this and that. Right down to the blinds on the windows. Pathetic. Another instance for a well-off elderly couple selling their house and others went after the paintings and silver. And long lost nieces and nephews asking for handouts because times are tough. Sad but true.
I hope she is no longer your mortgage broker. Check public records and check background history before contacting for assistance. Just like they do for us.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 AM

I don't know how no matter what the situation people can call and ask for money when they aren't close at all; just know each other in passing. I used to have a co-worker who borrowed from others and when he quit he owed one person over 5000. I asked her why would she continue to loan him money when he never paid it back. I'm sorry for your situation but she should have never asked you no matter what but definitely not now. She should realize (even if she was close) that you'll need what you have to survive and take care of your kids. I think I'd avoid any more calls from her and if you decide to sell your house I'd leave her out of that as well. Take care and God Bless
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 AM

Tuesy....I would be shocked about that happening also...I am a widow also and would in no way be willing to do that...even for someone that you know well, it isn't a good idea to loan money to them, so why would you to someone you barely know??? Quite nervy of her to ask, I think.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Unfrigging believable! Her actions need to be reported. So so sorry for you loss.