Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using table for layering quilt >

using table for layering quilt

using table for layering quilt

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM

But how is your back after this? (basting on the floor)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I posted the other day, after discovering that a quilt I'd sandwiched SO carefully nevertheless had creases in the backing. I'm now wondering how else I might approach this, given that I have a small house with no walls big enough to use, and only one suitable floor area, which is carpeted and therefore not ideal. I've been looking at tutorials on using a table, but none of them seem to say whether you can do this successfully if your quilt is considerably bigger than the table - the videos I've looked at use quilt tops that are conveniently almost exactly the same size as the table top. Can anyone advise, please?
I have the same problem but I found this site and it looks like it will work great for both of us. See what you think:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/blog/2011...t-in-sections/
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I pin my quilts on my small glass topped dining room table. I use wood worker's clamps from Home Depot. I make mostly double to queen size quilts. I also have some plastic saw horses my Husband bought me and have put one at the end of the table and put a huge custom made cutting board on top of them. I can then do the whole length and move quilt to the side to each them. Either way works for me. Cutting board was cut the cutout from a sink in counter top, sides sanded and painted, back painted.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM

a little trick I discovered while quilting with my short arm machine. (The bobbin case broke)
It was that I could sew baste it by hand and then take it off the frame and free motion quilt and it worked great!
If you have a LQS in your neighborhood, they may lit you use the long arm frame to sandwich and then sew baste (by hand) then you wouldn't be using their machine. Maybe they won't charge you a whole arm and leg!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM

our grandmothers used their beds but I have used tables (12ft long and several together) to make my quilt sandwich. I tape down or clamp down the backing and carefully add the batting and clamp or pin that to the backing and add the top and pin. I have been successful with this method. Many churches and quilt shops in the area will allow you to used their space without cost. Check in your area-also quilt guilds can tell you where they have space available for large projects. My last quilt was 120" square (special request from DIL) and I didn't have any problems with puckers.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 AM

I found a ping pong table on Craigslist for $1. It works nicely for me.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
I use a carpeted floor all the time! Lay your backing down, wrong side up and pin it to the carpet in the corners and a couple of places along the sides, making sure it is flat and tight. Layer your batting and then the top, smoothing out each layer. THEN (this is how it works), slide a cutting mat on the carpet, under the backing and use the mat as something to pin against so you don't catch your carpet. I just did it last night - works great!
I have ,even used this method on my bed now that I can't get up from the floor.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

I invested in three folding/banquet tables. I keep them in the garage and when I'm ready for the sandwiching process, I just move my car into the drive way and set up shop. My cat has asthma and my bird is sensitve to odors, so I don't use my basting spray in the house. This works out well, except when it is in the single or negative digits. A space heater just doesn't do it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM

I use my cutting table so that my back doesn't kill me. I have plastic clamps that I bought from the hardware store and clamp the backing first.......arrange the batting and reclamp and then arrange the top and reclamp again. I then start pin basting and moving it as necessary until the whole thing is pin basted and no wrinkles. It really does save my back. I just don't know how you girls sandwich a quilt on the floor.....
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM

I do it on my carpeted floor - not sure how many more I'll be able to do that way cause I sure feel it the next day. All the suggestions here should make things easier next time around!