Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using table for layering quilt >

using table for layering quilt

using table for layering quilt

Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
You can use your table to layer. I've done it several times. I longarm now but ocassionally I have one that I dont want to long arm. I layered a lonestar last week using my kitchen table. The picture I've attached is a quilt that I did earlier in the year on a long folding table. I use large black clips that you can get at wal mart or office supply store. When I put my backing on I use these same clips to keep my backing flat, layer the batting, removing one clip at a time to hold down batting to the back, then repeat process when I add the top. I'm spray basting between the layers. I only move the quilt about 12 inches or so each time I need to pin a new area. You really don't even need to pin but on this particular quilt I did. The one I'm currently working on I didnt pin, only spray basted.
This is the process I use all the time. I have one of the craft tables similar to those available at JoAnn's. It's not overly large and I've done king sized quilts on this table simply by carefully shifting as necessary. I start in the middle, pin, move the bulk of the quilt to one edge, making sure that a reasonable amount of the previously pinned area, clip and proceed. It's far easier on the back and certainly on the knees as opposed to doing it on the floor!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 AM

i use both the floor and my kitchen table. If I use the floor I will use masking tape to hold down the corners and try to instill smoothness. I hand quilt so I can smooth out the wrinkles as I go. It is hard to sandwich no matter how I do it.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I posted the other day, after discovering that a quilt I'd sandwiched SO carefully nevertheless had creases in the backing. I'm now wondering how else I might approach this, given that I have a small house with no walls big enough to use, and only one suitable floor area, which is carpeted and therefore not ideal. I've been looking at tutorials on using a table, but none of them seem to say whether you can do this successfully if your quilt is considerably bigger than the table - the videos I've looked at use quilt tops that are conveniently almost exactly the same size as the table top. Can anyone advise, please?
Try this. This works for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 AM

In the summer, I use the hose to spray with water our driveway. When dry, I use pkging tape to tape down the backing wrong side up. After using spray in layering the quilt, I pin it.

No wrinkles, and it machine quilts great!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
You can use your table to layer. I've done it several times. I longarm now but ocassionally I have one that I dont want to long arm. I layered a lonestar last week using my kitchen table. The picture I've attached is a quilt that I did earlier in the year on a long folding table. I use large black clips that you can get at wal mart or office supply store. When I put my backing on I use these same clips to keep my backing flat, layer the batting, removing one clip at a time to hold down batting to the back, then repeat process when I add the top. I'm spray basting between the layers. I only move the quilt about 12 inches or so each time I need to pin a new area. You really don't even need to pin but on this particular quilt I did. The one I'm currently working on I didnt pin, only spray basted.
This is how I do it too. Start in the middle and work to the sides. I've done it with pins and with spray.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM

Good Morning. I have same problem for very large quilts.

I bought a large vinyl flannel table cloth, lay in on carpet flannel side down.
Adheres to carpet very well. Also when new cloth I run it in my dryer first, low temp, to get rid of wrinkles. Watch it carefully so not to get too hot. Use safety pins to hold quilt down smoothing all the way. Works pretty well for me and not so hard on the knees.
A Helper would be good. I don't have anyone to help so it takes longer.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 AM

Harriet Hargrave recommends doing it on a table. She describes it in detail in her book "Heirloom Machine Quilting."

She recommends taping a toothpick on the centers of the top edges of the table. You can then feel through the layers to know exactly where the center is to place your sandwich layers.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 AM

I used to use my dining table with leaves in- gave me 36x72 space. I went to Home Depot w/DH and got some of the big clamps like he uses for wood projects. Lay your backing down, centered with pins at the center, using length of table for width of your quilt. Smooth out and clamp on both sides, then lay batting, centered, and top, again centered. I then pin with large safety pins about 4-5 inches apart, working from the center out. You have to unclamp and slide the entire "sandwich" first one direction to continue pinning, then back the other way. If you take your time with smoothing and clamping, then flip to check the backing once it is all pinned, you should be good. May have to redo some of the pins, but usually it is out near the edges. I now have a top that DH made from a sheet of plywood that fits over my table-gives me a 4ft x8ft surface, still clamping and pinning.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:42 AM

I know some people say "This is wrong." but.....
(I don't listen to quilt police.)
I put the top onto the batting ONLY. I quilt a little bit, then after that, I take the backing and quilt it to the other two layers. Voila! NO PUCKERING!!!
And now, I have discovered QUILT AS YOU GO where you actually sew your pieces of the top to the batting as you go along. Why didn't I find that some years ago??? It works out amazingly! Before you know it, your top two layers are done and you are ready to add your backing. No three layers for me. I enjoy my working and my work much more when I use these methods. Why torture yourself and the quilt?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 AM

I have a long table that I use. I tape the backing down along the short edges and then lay the batting on, smoothing it well. Then I lay the top and start working. I do use clips along the edges sometimes. The best thing I bought for myself was the bed raisers that they sell with the "college stuff"-you can lift your bed up so things can be stored under it. Found a set at JoAnn fabrics for $10 and it makes such a difference on my back!