Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using table for layering quilt >

using table for layering quilt

using table for layering quilt

Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM

I lay mine out on my bed with an old top sheet down to protect surfaces and use basting spray. My knees won't take doing it on the floor anymore and could never get it pinned well enough to prevent puckers. The spray basting is so easy and fast that I will never pin another! If it's a large quilt, you can do the batting in sections making it even easier to fmq. And the bonus is that I never have puckers when done quilting!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM

When I needed more space to sandwich a quilt I called my LQS's or church and put 3 of their long tables together to do the work.

I did buy 2 Lifetime tables 4x2 ft with adjustable height legs [3 different heights] for my smaller projects.

ali
Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 PM

I needed to sandwich my first completed quilt top. My "dining room/breakfast room" table is round; I don't have floo....or space to lay it out, nor a wall. I put it on my queen size bed, smoothed out the backing; added the batting then the top; I smoothed and smoothed.......pinned the top down and then crawled all the way around the floor to pin and then baste the sandwich together. I now have it basted and ready to hand quilt.....it happens to be right here by me on the sofa..am resting.

Since it has cooled off considerably here in West Ga, I think I'll enjoy hand quilting it !.....we'll see what happens next !
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I have used my dining room table. I layer all three layers, than start pining, or basting, in the very middle and work out to each side, top and back. I smooth as I go. I know some will clip the backing to the edge of the table to begin but I don't. The weight of the hangover seems to keep it smooth. Once the quilt area on top of the table is basted I move the quilt sandwich one way or the other to continue with the pining or basting. Works or me.
This is what I was thinking of doing. Doesn't the quilt tend to slip off once you get near the edge and most of it is off the table?

Nope not on mine. If I does want to slip, just put some painters tape on the table to add friction. I've not done it but it should work.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I posted the other day, after discovering that a quilt I'd sandwiched SO carefully nevertheless had creases in the backing. I'm now wondering how else I might approach this, given that I have a small house with no walls big enough to use, and only one suitable floor area, which is carpeted and therefore not ideal. I've been looking at tutorials on using a table, but none of them seem to say whether you can do this successfully if your quilt is considerably bigger than the table - the videos I've looked at use quilt tops that are conveniently almost exactly the same size as the table top. Can anyone advise, please?
I successfully thread basted a 40 inch by 40 inch wall hanging on my work table, which is 16 inches by 30 inches. I just shifted the PVC pipes I had the top and backing rolled onto side to side as needed.

I use a variation on Sharon Schamber's basting method. My variation is that I baste a lot closer than she does. She bastes using herringbone stitches about four inches long; I baste using herringbone stitches about one inch long.

I figure since I use a floor hoop, my quilt sandwich needs to withstand being hooped at the beginning and unhooped at the end of each quilting session.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Can I use a King size bed to pin a lapt quilt.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 AM

use the floor, get some basting spray, no pins needed, it works great
Old 10-31-2011, 02:47 AM

I use the dining toom table with the table pads turned with the felt side up. The felt keeps the quilt from slipping. Start in the middle and and move the quilt as needed making sure to pull fabric backing smooth as you go.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by JOMARIE
Can I use a King size bed to pin a lapt quilt.
The bed is too squishy. You need something firm that won't move..
Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 AM

I use my floor sometimes also, but.. I used a plastic table cloth under it.. or clear plastic covering..the pins slide right over it. Then on my corners of the quilt/backing/batting, I have those sitting under pieces of my furniture. Like my couch legs and etc. They don't move around on me that way. Nice tight backing each time and I am a newbie here.