Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips! >

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM

How exciting!! I am so happy for you. Yes, gets lots of shelves, I love the plastic storage drawer bins, and use every inch of wall you can! Do not forget to post pictures once it is done!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM

You mentioned that you had 2 outlets. Power surge protectors with multiple plugs are a must. Not only do they give you more outlets, but they protect all your valuable machines. You'll be so happy when you get it finished. Be sure to post pictures.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM

You go girl!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

I am so happy for you, I have learned storage tubs for very small rooms.
GOD bless.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM

My sewing room is about 10x12 with a double closet. I use a 4' folding table for my computer/bill paying stuff, a 6' table for ironing, laying out fabrics, etc., a 36" craft table for cutting, my sewing machine in a 5' sewing table, one file cabinet, a 3-drawer vinyl cabinet and a bookcase. In the closet I have one side for a four-shelf vinyl bookcase (for my stash), and the other side has a vinyl 3-drawer cabinet. Batting goes on the closet shelf. Yes, the room is packed, but I have everything at my fingertips and all in one room. You will have fun decorating and organizing your new room. I reorganized mine a couple of times before I got everything the way I wanted it.

Jill
Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM

I've got a small sewing room too, but I've found that re-purposing common items in the sewing room, has helped me to set up the room on a dime with items found around the house. I used an old desk (took the L side off of it) and made a huge ironing board to lay on top of it for when I iron. When I just want to use the desk for laying out fabric or cutting, I can move the ironing board off it and replace it with my cutting matt or leave it bear. I also took old shelves that I had haging in the garage and hung them in my room - this allowed for wall space to be put to use. I also took an old peg board out of the garage and use it to hang my tools. Helps to keep the working surface clear.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Default No dedicated room for sewing yet.

Congrats on getting a sewing room. I'm just starting and have taken over the dining room table. Hubby's very good natured about it.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Yes that is exciting, will watch this thread with interest as my new sewing/craft room will be 13'2 also quite small. I love seeing what others do with their spaces and have come across some fabulous space saving ideas.

Maybe1day
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Normally, I have little trouble putting into words the images I have in my head. However, ‘tis said, that a picture is worth a thousand words. So I made a brief sketch which may say in fewer words another option to consider.

This does not take into consideration the placement of doors, outlets or overhead lighting, but is considering that the right hand wall is windowed, at least from one third up.

I drew this on a piece of paper 8.5 X 14, so the room was scaled to coincide with your measurements of 8X12. The book cases were a standard 3' wide X 1' deep, available from most Target, K and Walmart type stores. Ikea systems have more flexible sizes.

By positioning book cases extending out from the brick wall, instead of linearly, you can actually create more useable space. The open shelving can be for books, fabrics, drawers of notions, patterns or whatever. The back sides can be covered with pegboard for templates, stencils, tools, design wall, etc. Book cases may need to be tied together by screwing planks between them, but is a convenient way to attach additional lighting. On the open ends, a heavy curtain rod for drapes to darken the fabric storage area when you aren’t fondling your fabric or want to close off an untidy area. I have an ironing cover on my cutting table, so it saves the space of a separate ironing board. Also, a small pressing pad next to the sewing machine for the piece pressing is handy.

You’ll have a lot of space below the windows for the plastic drawer units which are so popular. Batting can be stored on top of the book cases which are back to back.

The sketch seems to have re-sized a bit, the chair was in a corner, and the sewing station was much closer to the window wall.
Attached Thumbnails room-design.jpg  

Last edited by olebat; 11-02-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: to explain that the room is not as wide as the sketch indicates.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Congrats - DH is a keeper