Help Please!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Help Please!

Does anyone have simple instructions on how to use the Bookmark or Subscriptions tools?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Just above your post click on Thread Tools, then on the page that comes up click lower right Add Subscription (I think that's what it says. Then go way up on top and click on Settings and you will see the title of the topic you saved. Is this helpful?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Default Help with Subscriptions and Bookmarks

It helps me to remember that, in this new format, a Bookmark is a type of Subscription. In the old format they were totally separate creatures.

If you reply to a Thread, you are automatically Subscribed to it and it will show up as a Subscribed Thread until you Unsubscribe from it.

If you do not reply to a Thread but do want to Bookmark it, click on THREAD TOOLS just above the first post in the Thread. Choose SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD. Then you will see a screen like the photo below. That screen asks you to make two different choices:

1. How do you want to be notified of any updates to the Thread. You choose whether you want emails or want to see the updates only when you log in to the Board.

2. The second choice is where you designate whether this will be a Bookmark or a Subscription. See the choices in the photo below. Click Bookmark, then be sure to click the blue box that says Add Subscription. Otherwise, your choices won't "stick."

I have noticed, however, that if you are already Subscribed to a Thread (either because you posted a reply or because you used THREAD TOOLS to subscribe), the THREAD TOOLS list will not show an option to change from Subscription to Bookmark. You have to Unsubscribe from the Thread, then open THREAD TOOLS again and go through the steps to enter a Bookmark for the Thread. To avoid those extra steps, what I've been doing is deciding whether to Bookmark a Thread before I reply. Then, after you set the Bookmark, you will also be Subscribed because you posted a reply. If you decide later to Unsubscribe, your Bookmark will remain in place.

Hope this helps.

Anita
Attached Thumbnails subscriptions-bookmarks.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Good instructions, Anita! There's one thing more that one can do to ALWAYS receive notifications automatically on all thread that they started or posted on. I had to click SETTINGS at the top of page, then click on "general settings" over on the left hand side of that next page. I had to change my default from "no notifications" to how I DID want to get them TO appear automatically.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Am I understanding that if I reply to a post I have subscribed to it? And that the subscribe is like the old bookmark? If that is so it still doesn't make sense to me. In the past when I pulled up Bookmark it was for the threads that I was really interested in following at sometime in the future, not every thread where I posted a reply.

For instance, how do I isolate quilts with really interesting borders that I would like to try sometime?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

If you replied to a post that you are interested in what other people say then you have to subcribe to it.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Polly, go to "Settings" up top, click there, then look for "general" settings on the left hand side of the next page. Click on that. You will see one of the setting there is for "Default thread subscription mode". There are five options in the drop down. What is yours set at right now? Then we'll go from there.

If you don't have it set to have notification automatically for every post you make, here is a real good tutorial on how to do it individually. Bookmarks, Subscriptions, Watched Topics.pdf‎

You can even make folders to match things that you like to save. You mentioned "quilt border", so maybe you want to have a folder named that. Click "edit folders" and make on named that. Then when you're at a thread you would like to save about quilt borders, tell it to save to that folder.

Keep asking questions if you need to.

Last edited by mzzzquilts; 11-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Mzzzquilts....thanks for the reminder about changing the default notification setting under General Settings. I'd forgotten about that!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt View Post
Mzzzquilts....thanks for the reminder about changing the default notification setting under General Settings. I'd forgotten about that!
You're welcome. I wasn't real sure if we had that option or not on the old board, so didn't know if our old default carried over to the new board or not.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Need Help

Can someone help me? I am SO frustrated with this new set up. I know a lot of work must have gone into setting up this new site, but surely they could make it much easier to navigate & hopefully in time that will happen. In the meantime I I have 4 questions & hope someone can help with them so I can endure through all of this.

1. When I log on to the site, from the daily link sent to me by email, if I click on "Settings" in the upper right bar, a page opens up & the messages reads: "We are sorry this content is not supported via the mobile style." The only choice is to "Click here to go to the Forum Homepage" & on that page there is no choice to select settings. But, on the page where I originally log on, down at the bottom it shows that default style is selected. How can I change my settings so that when I read notes the oldest (original) post shows up first on the page?

2. How can I access the bookmarks I selected when using the old board?

3. If I can ever get my settings changed to read the oldest notes first, if I access the latest posts by scrolling to the bottom of the home page & clicking on "Archive" - when I click on a topic from the list, then with the notes show the responses from the last 24 hours, or will it divert to the oldest note showing first. Hope I explained this correctly.

4. When looking at the list of notes to read as I move my mouse pointer down the page it changes the color to dark blue & then I can't read what the topic is. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks bunches in advance for any help anyone can offer. If you can help, please respond via private message because I don't know if I will be able to find responses to this request.

Belle