Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting thread suggestion needed >

Quilting thread suggestion needed

Quilting thread suggestion needed

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Quilting thread suggestion needed

I piece and sometimes quilt my quilts on a Bernina 640 and need a suggestion for a black thread that works well for stitch in the ditch quilting. I have been trying to use DMC 50 wt. thread but it keeps breaking and nesting on the back.

Thanks!
Sue
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Aurifil or Mettler is good thead. Gutterman isn't my favorite, but is also decent. I wonder if the DMC you have is old and that's the problem with the breakage?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

breakage- and nesting usually means---a tension problem---or more likely- some lint built up in the bobbin area-or the need to change the needle-
it is recommended to change your needle for every project-or every 8 hours of sewing time-which ever comes first- and the number 1 reason for poor stitch quality is a dull needle-
that's not to say it isn't your thread- there have been times when i have had to change my thread 3 or 4 times before i finally found one that was working for my project- but making sure the machine is clean (the bobbin area should be cleaned of lint every 2nd bobbin change-if not more often-some fabrics create more lint build up than others-
a new needle---the correct needle size/type for the thread being used (if you do not know-visit Superior threads-they have free charts you can print off telling you what needles to use with what threads for what projects)
make sure the machine is threaded correctly (it is easy to miss a step-even when you've been sewing for years)
make sure the foot is lowered- we all forget that once in a while (causes messes/nests on the back)
if all else fails-then try a new spool of thread- everyone has their favorites- mine are Connecting Threads thread- but i also use threads from Superior Threads, Atlanta Thread Company, YLI, Sulky, Gueterman, ...the important part for success is the correct wt thread for the correct size/type needle- and a new needle, clean-well maintained machine.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 AM

I agree with Candace on all counts (except I like Gutterman), and can add Superior Threads to the list.

and agree with second poster (CKcowl) to go back to basics - check the needle, the bobbin, clean everything, check tension.

What I like about the above threads that I mentioned is: strength, low lint/fuzz, high sheen to the thread.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 11-20-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Sue, are you using thread made for hand sewing, by chance?

If you're using thread made for machine sewing, try changing to a new sharp (as opposed to a ball point or a universal) needle and see if that improves the sewing.

If that doesn't do anything, change to a new sharp needle one size larger and see if that helps.

A 50wt thread made for machine sewing should do just fine in the situation you describe.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Its a brand new spool and a brand new needle and I have rethreaded from the beginning twice but I just called another quilting friend of mine and she suggested a Metafil needle and a bobbin fill thread on the bottom. So I am going to try that, too. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:48 PM

I use Aurofil for everything. It pieces well and quilts just a well. No problems with breakage and it comes in lots of colors and the natural, white and black spools you get really large ones that will last a while. Try checking the way you are threading your machine. The only time I've had nesting is when I've not got the threading exactly as it should have been.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM

For those of you who like the Connecting Theads thread, what kind do you use - both for hand work and machine work? I was thinking of ordering some, but didn't know what to order. Maybe the Essential cotton? Also, have you found the colors on your monitor to be accurate? Thx.