Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
What is a fabu-motion - w/o stitch regulator?
These were around a few years ago. Basically a frame - attached to something that slides under your machine. It gives about an 8 by 8 window to stitch in and it moves on ball bearings. It actually allows nice smooth free motion motion. I think it would probably be best for a lot of stitching in a small area and was moderately helpful to me as a rank beginner.

The trouble is, it takes a bit to get out and set up and then there is only a fairly small window so you need to run out of space and have to adjust frequently. Very limiting if doing large meandering or other larger patterns. I have found it more trouble than it is worth.

You could also get one "with stitch regulator" which is an electronic thing attached to your sewing machine that helped keep your stitching even. I know at least one person who swears by this and does lovely quilting. But even she agrees that its use is limited. She turns it off when stitching slowing (or fast, can't remember). Quite expensive, I think these were selling for around $500 originally. Mine was originally about $200 but I got it for half of that because at the time they really weren't selling well. I don't know if they are even available anymore. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
My Bernina, on which the motor died after 3 years, was a terrible waste of money. Before my ^&$^%%#@@ Bernina died, its bobbin winder stopped working.
Less than 3 years and a warranty didn't cover it? Same with the bobbin winder. I'm shocked.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs View Post
My DH bought me one of those quilting calculators, I never figured out how to use it, so it's in a drawer somewhere, lol!...
Yeah, I don't know why I thought buying one of those would make me be able to do so much more. It would have been ok if I'd had the person come with it to show me how to use it. I'm the type of person who has to be shown how to do something to learn things most of the time.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I have a cheapy hand held sharpener that you turn by hand. It works once you figure it out. Twist it back and forth with pressure then turn the blade over and do it again. It does work but be careful you could cut yourself handling the blade.
My DH always sharpens my blades with the "cheapy sharpener" and it works well. Perhaps it works better with more muscle. I even ordered a refill for it. I've been debating about the electric sharpener. Does someone know if it works?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I bought a pink mini iron. It looked cute and I thought it would be great for workshops but it does not get hot enough. As of yet I have not found a use for it and it's in the pile for the second hand shop.
This, too, was my only dud. I ended up giving it to my niece for ironing her doll clothes - it was the perfect size for her hands.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM

I don't like the rotary blade sharpener eiher. It does a crappy job.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by alderdweller View Post
Totally agree with you here. Me too!
try putting baby powder between the mats, so it will turn easy.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 AM

My worst one was buying a suction cup handle for my rulers. I hated it, I payed a lot for it and hate to throw it out.lol So it is taking up space.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 AM
QM
Power Poster

The rotary sharpener does not work for me, but works fine for DH, if he is in the mood. I am sure his more muscular grasp makes the difference.

I am not much of a gadget person, partly because I simply do not have the space. I bought the bobbin winder, which was a great asset when mine broke, but after repairs, I passed it on. (70 miles to the dealer)

My Bernina was my bigest mistake. It gave out in 3 years.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 AM

I've had a rotary sharpener for years and have never had a problem. I buy blades in a pack of five but don't need to buy very often. I love it.
I did buy a calculator but haven't worked it out although I do have a tutorial on how to use it, saved on my computer somewhere.
I have my machines serviced regularly. My last machine outlasted the company that made it. I had it over 30 years. Hope my Janome machines last as long.