Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your definition of "NEW" fabric?? >

What is your definition of "NEW" fabric??

What is your definition of "NEW" fabric??

Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Default What is your definition of "NEW" fabric??

I just received some fabric I had won on EBAY. It was listed as new. I was surprised to find that the fabric I received had been washed (ends had that extremely tangled washed look) - and was extremely wrinkled. Although photos on line showed no wrinkles & there was no mention of it being washed.

The fabric is beautiful - & I love it - but is fabric that has been washed- still considered NEW?
What is your opinion??
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM

I would not consider any fabric that has been washed new!! And I would definitely let the seller know that washed fabric is not new fabric. You can always wash fabric but you can never unwash it!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM

The seller should note in their listing that the fabric has been washed. When I sold on EBay, I always let the bidders know if a fabric had been pre-washed or not and how it had been stored (plastic tub, shed, etc) and if there was smoking or pets in the home.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM

This is a good question, and the definition is difficult to pin down.

There is brand new -- to me that would be fresh off the bolt
There is new old stock -- never used, but manufactured years ago.
On Ebay the description should include "pre-laundered" or "pre-washed" if that is the case. Also, the picture should be accurate, and what you get should look like it.

I consider a loose definition of new to include any fabric that has not yet been used for its intended purpose (sewn), but is in new condition - not dirty, faded, stained, have tears or holes. It could be washed, but should be described as such.

I will interested in hearing what others think about this!

Dayle

P.S. You can leave positive feedback on Ebay, but mention the fact that the pictures did not match what you received.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Banned

washed is NEW, it is just washed! the item was not as described so send it back and file a complaint with paypal.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM

It just happen to me too the blocks where cut but been washed not ironed so after I ironed the where all crooked.Never will buy again from this seller.Big disapointment. It looked good on the pic but the fabric was like not LQS quality and nothing just matching at least a bit
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM

The person is a new seller will let them know - I do like the fabric , so I really don't want to return it - & I know I will give them positive feedback.

I was just curious about what others thought about - New vs WASHED -

I also have to be careful about washed items, - I am allergic to the smell of fabreeze & other fabric softners - can't stop coughing once I smell them
Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

i tend to agree with Dayle. i have new fabric that is over 10 years old- it has never been (used) some of it has been pre-washed though-
the seller should certainly mention in their listing that it is pre-washed- some people believe you should always pre-wash and fabric before using it- selling it-swapping it- someone may have told this seller that= she may have just thought it was 'the norm' you should contact them and tell them that it is a fact that should be mentioned in their listing- but to me- if the fabric has not been used-it's still new- pre-washed or not
Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Just because it is washed does not mean it isn't new. To me used fabric, is fabric that has been used for something else. Like cutting up fabric from a piece of clothing to make something else that is used. But I have fabric in my "stash" that is what some would call old---but it is still new, as I have not used it, if it is washed, it is just clean, but still new. That is my opinion.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM

I have lots of new fabric in my stash. Just because I washed it does not make it 'used', it's still new. I would say the ebay seller erred in not saying this was washed fabric, so many people do not want their fabric washed before using. Not me, you should see the LQS fabric I just washed and rinsed about 5 times !!