Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Package tracking... what's it worth? >

Package tracking... what's it worth?

Package tracking... what's it worth?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Package tracking... what's it worth?

I'm considering switching from USPS to FedEx for some of our international shipments. To some countries, there would be a cost saving, to other countries it would cost a little more. But with FedEx you can track the packages.

So... the question is, what is package tracking worth? Is it worth an extra dollar? Two? Just to know where your package is at all times?

Or does it not really matter to you at all?

This is mostly a question about international shipping, since domestic USPS packages do have at least a minimal amount of tracking available. But anyone / everyone is welcome to answer, because I'm trying to get a feel for whether most people value tracking a great deal, or not.

??
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM

speaking as a seller, I only use USPS for international. And I don't offer it on anything expensive. I was not aware FedEx was anywhere close to USPS in cost for overseas.

I think tracking is mostly a benefit to you as the seller, since you are responsible for getting the package there and proving it was received.

As a buyer I would not care, as long as it got there eventually.

ETA - I just checked FedEX for a 1 pound package going from USA to UK and came up with $82. A far cry from the USPS flat rate boxes.

Last edited by ptquilts; 02-08-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Tracking is also a benefit for the buyer. With busy lives its nice to be able to go on line to see when an item is expected. It's also nice not to get upset because it hasn't arrived and call the seller for it to arrive later that day or the next. If you have the ability to track then that eliminates that problem.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Tracking is also a benefit for the buyer. With busy lives its nice to be able to go on line to see when an item is expected. It's also nice not to get upset because it hasn't arrived and call the seller for it to arrive later that day or the next. If you have the ability to track then that eliminates that problem.
True, true... we actually spend quite a lot of time answering e-mails from international customers, explaining that it takes 2-3 weeks for delivery and that tracking is NOT available. There's an actual labor cost for that time spent.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 AM

i think it would be good but wouldent whant to pay to much for it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
speaking as a seller, I only use USPS for international. And I don't offer it on anything expensive. I was not aware FedEx was anywhere close to USPS in cost for overseas.

I think tracking is mostly a benefit to you as the seller, since you are responsible for getting the package there and proving it was received.

As a buyer I would not care, as long as it got there eventually.

ETA - I just checked FedEX for a 1 pound package going from USA to UK and came up with $82. A far cry from the USPS flat rate boxes.
Barb, I don't know what you're shipping, but if it is anything that will fit in the USPS flat-rate envelopes, you may not know that FedEx also has the same flat-rate envelopes. And FedEx's rates are... somewhat negotiable, in that if they want your business they will set you up with pricing that is "below list price". What I've been investigating is the flat-rate-envelope pricing, which (for me), going to Canada, is just about the same as what USPS would charge for the FREs, plus the $1 / package that I pay for third-party insurance. With FedEx, $100 worth of insurance is included in their rates. However, should fuel prices go crazy, FedEx's rates would go up, whereas with USPS the price is fixed until the next general rate increase. For a FedEx FRE going to the UK, it does cost more up front to ship it, by about $4. However... on the receiving end in the UK the customer is going to get charged a £8 Customs Clearance fee (which I think is about $10.50 USD). So, overall FedEx would be a better deal for the customer, since with FedEx the Customs Clearance (brokerage) fee is included in the rate.

There's no cost advantage to countries like Australia, which don't charge a Customs Clearance fee or taxes, unless the purchase is valued at $500 or more. I think. We don't get many $500 orders from Australia! :-)

What complicates things, too, is that sometimes USPS packages slip through in the UK and Canada without incurring the Customs Clearance fees / sales tax assessment. And IMHO this makes it kind of feel like a lottery game for the recipient, where some days you win (big) and some days you lose (big). Whereas with FedEx, taxes will always be charged (small loss). So this makes it harder to decide which way is best. It probably depends on whether you like games of chance, or would rather go with the sure thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I agree. As a buyer living in a rural area, when I plan if I want to leave for the day, I want to know if packages are coming because our weather can be a real issue (our mountains in WNC qualify as a rainforest). Plus, since I live so "far out", I buy most of my quilting supplies (and many other things)on-line.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM

As a buyer, I love tracking. If it is something I can't wait to get, I check every day to see how much closer it's getting to me. When I see it's in my town and out on a truck for delivery, I woo-hoo. Love tracking!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM

I track my packages always.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM

You can't put a price on the availability to track, if your package is lost in transit. As a seller, I would think this to be a huge saving grace.