Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone Ever Stretch a Vintage Machine? >

Anyone Ever Stretch a Vintage Machine?

Anyone Ever Stretch a Vintage Machine?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Anyone Ever Stretch a Vintage Machine?

I am working on getting my BIL, who is a fabricator, to stretch a 15-91 clone for me. I have spent much of today looking for info on doing this. So far, all I've found was WOW Quilts stretched machines for sale, a message board where guys were talking about how to do it, but hadn't done so yet, and a diagram of how vintage machines work. Does anyone know of anymore info on doing this? It sounds like a relatively easy project, so why haven't more people done it? I realize I can't put cruise control on it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like the beginning of a business opportunity to me. Go for it and if it works out, who knows where it will go. If they can stretch limo's, why not sewing machines.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Probably several reasons why others don't do it. The small bobbin size is a major issue and would be for me. Most commercial longarms have extra large bobbins for a reason. Next is the lack or the inability for computer control or stitch regulation.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Probably several reasons why others don't do it. The small bobbin size is a major issue and would be for me. Most commercial longarms have extra large bobbins for a reason. Next is the lack or the inability for computer control or stitch regulation.
I know that Bailey's is a stretched Janome. Mr.Bailey does have a stitch regulator on it. PC Quilter is a computer run robot and almost all small/midsize machines can fit on that for quilting. But, as you say, the bobbin size cannot be changed.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM

The Voyage (nolting) is a streached machine also. I was thinking about a DIY project then I realized buying one would be simpler.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 AM

You might want to post your question on the Antique and Vintage Machine sewing machine shop thread. Billy hangs out there and a few other vintage machine knowledgable folks. There might be able to answer your question. Here's the link to the thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ll-t43881.html
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Go and join the Yahoo group...Homequiltingsystems...they have instructions in their files on stretching a vintage machine. My hubby is thinking about doing one for me, at some stage...maybe...lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Somehow I got into a discussion with a lady whose husband did this and they sold a few, but quit selling them. I think she said there was a tension problem with them, but can't quite remember what all she said. Try Ebay and see if there are any on there, or google it. She may have even been on here at one time so check to see if there are any threads about it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM

At one point there was a guy who lived in Florida who did them, but I can't remember his name or where he lived. Sorry!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Thank you for all the input. I just applied to join the Yahoo group.