Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
computerized longarm quilting >

computerized longarm quilting

computerized longarm quilting

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM

Default computerized longarm quilting

So if you enter a quilt in a quilt show do you have to say if you used a computerized design? I know some non computerized longarm quilters that are fantastic at what they do, but how could you compete against a computer? Seems like there should be separate categories. I know that digitizing and placement takes skill, but hand guided work for me is phenomenal to look at. I'm in awe of peoples FMQ work.

Just curious about the judging at shows. I've gone to shows, but never entered a quilt or asked at a show about this. I know someone here will know. Seems like I am seeing more and more computerized work.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM

The shows I've been to only have 2 categories for the quilting - hand or machine.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 AM

It depends on the quilt show. With most shows, there is no distinction between hand guided machine quilting and computer guided machine quilting. If the show is strictly for machine quilting, then there may be different categories. There is such a show every year in Ohio, called "Quilting With Machines", and I am pretty sure there are different categories in that show. You can google it with "QWM Ohio".
I've been to small shows where hand and machine quilted quilts are in the same category---there are two categories: bedquilts and wallhangings!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

My experience has matched JustAbitCrazy's. When I go to a show I always wonder which were hand guided and which were computerized. For that matter, some of the loveliest work is done on a domestic sewing machine. I don't care about which category the quilts are in for prizes, but as a visitor I would like to know (without having to read miles of tiny, tiny print) how the quilt was made. No judgment, just curiosity.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Our quilt show has different categories for longarm quilting with computer assistance and without. I think it really helps judge quilts on the same level. Please feel free to check out our forms - we are still accepting quilts too.
http://evergreenquiltersguild.com/pa...w/contest.html
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 PM

My guild has catagories for Hand, FMQ, LA (free hand), and LA computerized.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 PM

Don't have a clue about how quilt shows are judging quilts. But there is a lot of work involved with computers, and you can create your own patterns, modify existing patterns, put several patterns together and so on.

Maybe a seperate category for computerized quilting would be good, though.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I was just wondering If I was the only one who felt that when viewing quilts at a quilt show that it would be nice to know hand guided vs computerized quilting. I too love them all....but when I see a quilt that I know is hand guided with all the intricate details I am amazed at the time and effort put into the quilting process. Blows me away! I also see lots of beautiful work on this website, but it's often times not mentioned if it is hand guided or computerized quilting either. I , like dunster, like knowing the details as well; especially if it is a quilt show where visitors vote on best of show ribbons.
Happy New Year everyone!