Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE PONY CLUB  1st Milestone  15 Block "SHOW & TELL" >

THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL"

THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL"

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Here's my first 15. I redid the Basket Block from earlier posting--it looked too pale.
Attached Thumbnails pc-first-15.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Shoot for the Stars!
Yep, I agree!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Here's my first 15. I redid the Basket Block from earlier posting--it looked too pale.
Oh this is wonderful Jan! I sew enjoy seeing these all together.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Oh JanRN ... I reeeeally like your grouping. You must be really pleased, I'm sure! I forget what the Basket Block was like the first time, but this one is spectacular. I'll be looking for more of that background fabric in coming blocks, as it'll mix and match well with a lot of your fabrics already used. To go with the discussion of the day .. have you thought about sashing/cornerstones yet?

And yet another set with turquoise ...... Note to Self ... must get with the program. Turquoise!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
(Sigh from Iowa), Mirabelle, so pretty! I could even see using a red like the one in Colt's corral. What you need to do is cut out a couple of 1 inch squares of each fabric that you like and insert them in among your blocks and see which one you like best.
OK - that sounds like a great plan!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM

What a great milestone for you Jan. All of your blocks look so good.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM

I got the Sylvia's wedding sampler quilt book today and one of the quilts has framed each block with a very narrow band of black and then had sashing the same color as the background in the blocks. It was stunning. At the trunk show the other day, Nancy called those coping stips. It gives you a chance to get the block the right size and square...if there's been a problem. She said that the slight variation of the width of the coping stip is never noticed. It's particularly helpful when you do block exchanges and the exactness of the blocks vary. She used dark green in her's. QuiltE...that would work great with your yellow.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

hhhmmmmm!!!! You're giving me something to think about!Although I hesitate, as the quilt is busy enough with all the different blocks, different fabrics, and different looks ... would it not be too much?I kind of like the idea, though!Must watch for some pics of that technique.How wide were the coping strips? sashing? and blocks?Did they still use cornerstones? or omit them?It'd be a good way to make a smaller quilt, larger ... not that this is an issue with the PC!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
I got the Sylvia's wedding sampler quilt book today and one of the quilts has framed each block with a very narrow band of black and then had sashing the same color as the background in the blocks. It was stunning. At the trunk show the other day, Nancy called those coping stips. It gives you a chance to get the block the right size and square...if there's been a problem. She said that the slight variation of the width of the coping stip is never noticed. It's particularly helpful when you do block exchanges and the exactness of the blocks vary. She used dark green in her's. QuiltE...that would work great with your yellow.
I was taught this when I took a class about 5 yrs ago. The class was "Borders & Bindings." The piecing class had was already over & I wanted ta learn something! My teacher was a wonderful teacher named Jean Dean Giles. (She taught the FMQ class I took in Feb.) She just called those tiny borders "1/4 inch borders." She did recommend using 'em around your blocks to make 'em pop. I had already planned ta use this on my Quilt Story blocks.
(Because of this class I can miter corners like a pro, & could long before I could ever match seams or do any piecing!)

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
hhhmmmmm!!!! You're giving me something to think about!Although I hesitate, as the quilt is busy enough with all the different blocks, different fabrics, and different looks ... would it not be too much?I kind of like the idea, though!Must watch for some pics of that technique.How wide were the coping strips? sashing? and blocks?Did they still use cornerstones? or omit them?It'd be a good way to make a smaller quilt, larger ... not that this is an issue with the PC!
I think that if the cornerstones were the same color as the coping strips it would look way cool! Talk about pop! 1/4 inch coping strips, 2 inch sashing strips & 2 inch cornerstones.

Ya'll see what I learned taday? Multiple quotes. I'm proud of myself.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

DublB ... By chance, do you have any pics to show me! Are these narrow borders, the same as the flanges that some use? If you have any or can point me in the direction, I'd be interested to see them. Thanks!