Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it true? >

Is it true?

Is it true?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM
QM
Power Poster

They certainly can. I can't afford one, and don't have the space so I have a Janome 6600, which allows me to quilt most things with relative ease, although I need to make a great many pauses to shift things around. On the other hand, my guild owns a factory recondidioned LA. Generally it takes my guild sisters about 3 hours to do a fairly good ( not professional) job on a full sized quilt. I certainly can't say that, but I can't stand long enough to do a quilt.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 AM

Depends on the brand. You can get some for the price of a used car! LOL
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 AM

I would love to have one but have to keep it on the wish list for now
Old 03-24-2012, 04:03 AM

Wow, my house cost $38,000 in 2007. My last car cost $2400! Um, I think I'll stick with my $40 Janome because it does everything I want it to do and is constantly impressing me. And I'll save my money for important things.. like groceries!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 AM

Way to much for me...
Old 03-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Vat

Depending on the one you choose.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 AM

seriously these machines are way overpriced, I mean we are just talking about making it longer, Imagine how many more machines they would sell if they lowered the price....I'd be first in line.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
It's depends on the type of car you buy. LOL The car I bought my niece was $7000 used and my car cost over 35k. The most expensive long arm system I've seen was about $30 thousand brand new with all the bells and whistles, all computerized. Buying a LA is not an impulse buy so I have plenty of time to shop and wait for a bargain price on a used one.
Yes, that sounds right --- it depends on the car. I have one of the machines with all of the bells and whistles (and the computer), but a less expensive car. I consider it a trade-off. I use my machine for my quilting business, so it was more important to me to invest in the best. With my car? I just want to get from point A to point B....
Old 03-24-2012, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
If you go with a top of the line Gamill and the statler stitcher and all the avaiable options you can be at about $32,000.00
I looked into getting one about 6 years ago , and then quickly figured out that I could send MANY MANY quilts out to pros... who already have the learning curve under their belt , and spend as much time quilting if not more than I do piecing.
If I won the lottery.. doubt I would get one as the cost to send it out to the pros would be a non-issue. But would I end up with a fabric store as my stash... probably.
Well said Lori!

I personally have three major issues cost, space and learning curve.

There are long arm quilters and then there are artist long arm quilters. Having the 'eye' and knowing what design will enhance a quilt is artistry and takes talent. Owning a LA is no guarantee that the person using the machine has an artistic eye, for instance feathers vs swirls on certain designs or colors etc.

That is why I send my quilts out to a long armer and tell she or he, you are the artist do what you think is best. I do NOT have that talent and doubt any amount of learning curve would instill that talent.

JMHO and not meant to offend anyone.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 AM

Yes. My quilter has been in business for at least seven years, she paid $25,000 for her long arm machine. You can buy smaller ones but see first how big you need this long arm to be, then check out all brands. If your going to spend the money, make sure you get a good brand and make sure you are shown how it operates. Good luck!!!