Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored? >

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 AM

I retired 3 years ago too. I am never bored, in fact sometimes there are not enough hours in the day. About a year before retiring, I bought a new Bernina ( while I was making good money) then started buying fabrics and kits. I knew once I quit working money would be a little tighter. I love it! Everyday I do what I want when I want. My house is always clean and I spend hours everyday in my sewing room.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 AM

I love being retired. I work for stash cash a few days a month. Other than that, a little cleaning, a little gardening, a little sewing, a little alone time with the old man, a little playing on the computer and talking to friends, nap every few days. I should have done this ages ago when I was younger and had more energy. Who knew??
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Never! There's always a project to finish - or start ! or books to look through, or fabric to feel, or catalogs to browse.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Bored - never. I do as little household chores as possible ( I have dust bunnies everywhere) but no one sees my house but me and my husband. We very seldom have visitors as we live so far out from everything and everyone. I read, watch a little tv (mostly for news), quilt, do a "little" exercise, go shopping when I want to, take a nap, and never get bored. I love my retirement - been retired since 1995 after 37 yrs of working. Now I work on my own time and do what I want to when I want to.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 AM

I'm never bored, but then I'm pretty easily amused. Maybe your sister needs to get into quilting?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 AM

Amen sister!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM

Bored!!!What is that? Not in my dictionary!!! I retired a number of years ago and here the past 3 years my hubby I have almost lost 3 times, but he is better now. I have to care for him, tube feeding and the like, he sets and watches Tv all day long but he can now dress himself, I run errands, keep the autos up, mow and weed eat, pay bills, sew, knit, crochet, fix three meals a day, make sure the are plenty snaks for him, take him to Drs appointments at least 6 a month, do you get the picture, I could go on and on, but I want bore you anymore. Bored!!! I think not.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I retired last May, so almost a year. My mother, who never believed in naps and was like a drill sergeant when we were growing up, is constantly asking me what I am doing to keep myself busy so I don't get bored. She is 96, lives in assisted living home, and I'm sure gets bored a lot.

So far, I have loved retirement! I try to do a little house cleaning each day, quilt/embroider/sew, read, exercise, and of course the necessary errands. I have a sister who was laid off almost two years ago and can't find a job, so it's like she's retired. She gets bored and wants to find some kind of the house.

Does anyone ever get bored?
I retire next Friday after 40 years and can't wait. Moving the week after to the desert in a sweet little home with my hubby. Thanks for the encouraging words. I have such a bucket list I can't imaging getting bored.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 AM
elm

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I retired last May, so almost a year. My mother, who never believed in naps and was like a drill sergeant when we were growing up, is constantly asking me what I am doing to keep myself busy so I don't get bored. She is 96, lives in assisted living home, and I'm sure gets bored a lot.

So far, I have loved retirement! I try to do a little house cleaning each day, quilt/embroider/sew, read, exercise, and of course the necessary errands. I have a sister who was laid off almost two years ago and can't find a job, so it's like she's retired. She gets bored and wants to find some kind of the house.

Does anyone ever get bored?
If I haven't planned my week well and do too many solitary activities so that I end up spending more than two days at home alone, I may think I suddenly feel bored when really it's a feeling of isolation. Most days along with quilting, painting, reading, using the computer, I also go to a class, or meet a friend to go to lunch or dinner and a museum or gallery or browsing shops we like. And yes, I do also force myself to clean and shop for food. Haven't figured out yet how to get those activities to happen while I'm doing the things I really enjoy.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
NEVER!!! I love being retired. I work one day a week, just to keep some extra "fabric money" around and I whine all day the day before I have to go to work LOL. I can't imagine how I got anything done during the 40+ years I did work. I'm a "type A" personality and run from morning til night. I get some house cleaning done (very, very minimal) and then run errands. From noon on is MY time: I sew all afternoon, everyday. Do I feel guilty? Yeah I did for the first few days and then heck no--I contributed to society all those years (since I was 16) so now I'm contributing to my sanity.

Friends teased me and said "oh you've gotten up at 5:30am for all those years, bet you still wll". Nope-sleep in til 7:30 and stay up as late as I want.

My mother is 89 and lives alone so she has lots of errands, dr appts, etc, but I have time to do them without resentment.

Some days I sew just to sew--you wouldn't believe the number of table runners and potholders I make LOL.

Enjoy your retirement--it's finally YOUR time!!
I'm a "retired" RN also and work 20 hours every other week or so..love the extra money and love being home after 40+ years