Boo Hoo Hoo!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Boo Hoo Hoo!

Well after buying the hinges for my Singer treadle cabinet I tried to fit my Singer 402A into it and it doesn't fit. Now I guess I'll have to buy another machine...!!!

I found a Singer 99 at a antique shop with the dome carrying case top but no attachments. It was pretty dusty and definitely needed a new foot pedal. $55. firm.

Since I'm not very knowledgeable about this machine, can I get some answers to a couple questions.

Will this model actually fit into a treadle cabinet? Is the spring/plate on the right side of the treadle, needed to install the machine, even if the machine is electric. If the machine fits is it better to keep the metal spring piece in the cabinet..or should it come out.

What other things should I look for with this machine, before I bring this one home. The bobbin and bobbin cover are intact, no rust or anything on the machine and the gold filligree is 100%.

Thanks for the feedback.

Julie
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM

I can not tell you for sure if it will fit or not, What was originally in the treadle cabinet ?
why does the 402 not fit ?

I can tell you that the 99 is a "3/4" size machine, smaller overall dimensions and it is rare ( not unheard of) to find a treadle cabinet for them.
if you care to make an "adapter plate" you can get just about any machine on there.

Also I imagine most people here will tell you that is "Too much money" for a 99. I would personally like one in that condition and would pay that much for one, just depends on your area of the country and how common they are.

Check out this link for more info on treadle's in general and putting them on different machines.
http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/index.html

Good luck
Dan

Last edited by greywuuf; 04-16-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

Julie,

Why or what part of your 402 doesn't fit in the cabinet? I was looking at my 401 and without actually doing it I'm thinking it will work. But ....
So, can you post pics of the non-fit condition?

Joe
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Julie,

I just did some comparisons with my 401A and the 7 drawer cabinet my #2 Singer 66 treadle is in. My 401A will fit just fine. I have two other electric machine cabinets and they fit the full size Singers so I'm positive the 401A will fit in them too.
The hinges line up right and there appears to be enough room for the machine to fold down. The bottom case on the machine would have to come off as that would interfere with the fit. The spring plate on the right side of the machine opening should probably be removed for underside clearance.

So, as I'm typing this I'm doing searches trying to find a pic of a 402A. So far no luck.

OK, I've looked as much as I can for now and have not found any pic of a 402A machine. The only pics I've found are from the Singer site:
{ http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...stomatic-x.pdf }
and that machine resembles the Japanese machines more than it does Singers.
So, are you positive you have a Singer 402A?

When I get back from my errands I'll put my 401 into my spare treadle top and take pics of it.

Joe
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Treadle fit for my Singer

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Julie,

I just did some comparisons with my 401A and the 7 drawer cabinet my #2 Singer 66 treadle is in. My 401A will fit just fine. I have two other electric machine cabinets and they fit the full size Singers so I'm positive the 401A will fit in them too.
The hinges line up right and there appears to be enough room for the machine to fold down. The bottom case on the machine would have to come off as that would interfere with the fit. The spring plate on the right side of the machine opening should probably be removed for underside clearance.

So, as I'm typing this I'm doing searches trying to find a pic of a 402A. So far no luck.

OK, I've looked as much as I can for now and have not found any pic of a 402A machine. The only pics I've found are from the Singer site:
{ http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...stomatic-x.pdf }
and that machine resembles the Japanese machines more than it does Singers.
So, are you positive you have a Singer 402A?

When I get back from my errands I'll put my 401 into my spare treadle top and take pics of it.

Joe
Joe - I checked again and my machine is a 403A. Ugh...I keep getting that confused. Anyway, my DH and I took off the spring plate and put the 403A into the hinges, which fit perfectly by the way.

The front of the machine, below the bed and the flip top part of the treadle don't mesh. The flip top on the treadle has a 'triangle' looking piece of wood with a piece of felt on it on the underneath side that the machine is I believe the machine is supposed to rest on once it's down. In the case of the 403A, that piece of wood actually prevents the machine from going down into position. I'm at work and can't post a pic but may be able to post a pic late tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.