Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teacher vs Quilt Police >

Teacher vs Quilt Police

Teacher vs Quilt Police

Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 AM

It's the 'only criticizes' comment that caught my eye. If it were me, I'd find a TEACHER. I was a home ec. teacher for years, and I knew better than to criticize. A good teacher knows how to give constructive criticism. There is a difference.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 AM

I understand,, I am have taken classes where the instructor watched me sewing and gave constructive criticism, it was okay, but it did make me rather anxious... I agree she should give you some positive feedback also. I don't mind anyone sharing a better way to do things, but if you don't want the help, maybe you should just let her know that your quilts are not gonna be judged so you really don't want them picked to pieces LOL maybe you should ask her who died and left her the scrolls, (just kidding)that would probably make her mad
Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 AM

Personally, I think it's time to find another instructor to "hone your skills".
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
I've been working with an instructor to "hone my skills". I'm probably being too sensitive but seems like she is turning into the quilt police. Every little oops she is sure to point out and only criticizes and is not very encouraging.
I'm not a newbie to quilting and appreciate constructive advise. What do you think?
Perhaps you need a new teacher. We are all different and respond differently to teaching styles. "One size" never fits all - despite what the label says.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 AM

I believe there are many ways to do things. For example, some iron seams open and some to the side. Some prewash and some do not. There are many many ways to make half square triangles. None of these techniques are right or wrong or the BEST.

The best teachers are open and explain why they think something might be better done a different way. They explain what problems might arise with the current method. The bad ones are the ones who firmly believe that their way is the one and only way that anyone should do something and they only bad mouth other methods. I had one person who had a couple of trick questions she liked to ask and judged you by your answers. I would never have been able to take a class from her. Too judgmental.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 AM

I would ditch her, quilting is suppose to be enjoyable not stressful and I think it's awful to be so pickey and critical. You need encouragement not criticism.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 AM

You've received some pretty reasonable advice. I'll share my experience, at the Mid-Atlantic quilt festival. A friend and I took one class on sewing curves with a special foot created for sewing curves. The teacher repeated several times "now remember, if you don't understand something be sure to ask!" with a condescending tone, and then she mentioned the satisfaction survey for the class and pointed out she was telling us how to do it, but if we didn't understand it and didn't ask...."
Well... I took her at her word and asked for help. She forgot about me, helped a few others, so I reminded her. She decided to gather a few of us together so she only had to say it once... and from her tone I could tell she was getting tired of pointing things out to people.

I didn't need that type of atmosphere so we left early. She was getting ready to move on to the next step, but what I'd seen so far was a waste of my time and I had quilts to go see!

Last edited by Christine-; 04-18-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
I've been working with an instructor to "hone my skills". I'm probably being too sensitive but seems like she is turning into the quilt police. Every little oops she is sure to point out and only criticizes and is not very encouraging.
I'm not a newbie to quilting and appreciate constructive advise. What do you think?
By your own admission, you are not a novice quilter and your reason for studying with this instructor is to fine tune your skills. That cannot be done without pointing out the small things that could be improved in your work. What you are calling criticism could very easily be the honest critique that is necessary for you to grow. Seems to me she is doing just what you say you want of her. As Scissor Queen said, ego stroking is not a skill builder.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 AM

So many terrific comments in this thread. For me the best thing I've ever done has been to become involved with a quilt guild, a vast amount of talent. I think that this forum is much like a huge quilt guild with so many willing to share, teach and advise.

With that said, like others have mentioned, if your personality is not 'meshing' with this teachers style of teaching and you are dreading going to lessons....then I personally would in a New York second find another teacher. In teaching there are two important factors 1) an open and willing student and 2) an open and willing teacher.

As others have stated this is supposed to be an enjoyable journey.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 AM

I have never taken a class since I started quilting 5 yrs ago.
The web videos are the best teacher. There are so many ways to do things and only by watching many experts can you find the one that you relate to.
I recomment signing up for QNN for a year and watching the many videos they have for instructions on every thing and by many famous quilters. Ive found that Eleanor Burns is my favorite teacher.
Youtube has the Missouri quilt shows that are very good to.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 04-18-2012 at 06:36 AM.