scavenged treasure

Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM

A good friend of mine snagged and delivered a folding machine stand that I use constantly. She is my Goodwill Fairy!!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by mountain deb View Post
There are thrift stores and there are thrift stores. Some, I frequent because of the GREAT prices. Yard Sales--- love 'em. I picked up two old wooden oval picture frames on Sat. for $1.00/both. That was my highlight of the day after a $%$#^#&%#% deer decided she wanted to re-arrange the front of my car.
Sorry to hear about deer damage. That is just awful!! If you visit a car parts store in your area, ask them if they have "whistlers." They are little plastic gadgets that fit in the front grill of your vehicle. As you drive, the air whistles through. You can't hear any noise, but the deer do and they go the opposite way. I have seen them work! For the $5 (approx.) cost, they can save you and your vehicle! Again, sorry about the trouble, but hope you are okay.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

My SIL wanted to get rid of a sofa. She put it at the curb with a sign "Free or best offer". It was gone in an hour. LOL. So funny!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 AM

When I bought a new station wagon I wanted some bright fabric for the floor in the back, to stop dog hair and dirt digging into the carpet. There was a council clean-up on the way to my father's house, and on the way I saw some bright fabric by the curb. But it was curtains for a child's room so I decided not to cut it up and instead take it to the local charity shop. Then, when I pulled up opposite my father's house empty handed, I saw a large bag on the grass verge with items spilling out of the top, and knew this time I would be successful! As I pulled out cardigans, trousers etc and rejected them, I felt someone watching me from the neighbour's front porch. I looked up and said "These are for the council clean-up aren't they?" and received the reply "No, that's our clothes; we're going away for the weekend!"
Fortunately the house was rented and the people soon moved on, so I didn't have to face them again!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 AM

My son's girlfriend, in Dallas, saw a table curbside and thought she had found her a bedside table. She and her mother looked at it and her mother saw it was a sewing machine cabinet. GF said she was taking it to Oklahoma to me. I wasn't home and knew nothing of my "present" till I got home later that night. Got a look at it the next morning and and...It is a trapziod cabinet with a 301 tan Singer machine in it!! Has the knee lever, but the bobbin case was gone and it needed a new power cord. Quick fix. It was locked up and wouldn't turn at all. A little oil, good dab of grease in all the right places and removed the thread stuck in the bobbin case holder and she runs like a champ. I love finds like that. LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by gspsplease View Post
When I bought a new station wagon I wanted some bright fabric for the floor in the back, to stop dog hair and dirt digging into the carpet. There was a council clean-up on the way to my father's house, and on the way I saw some bright fabric by the curb. But it was curtains for a child's room so I decided not to cut it up and instead take it to the local charity shop. Then, when I pulled up opposite my father's house empty handed, I saw a large bag on the grass verge with items spilling out of the top, and knew this time I would be successful! As I pulled out cardigans, trousers etc and rejected them, I felt someone watching me from the neighbour's front porch. I looked up and said "These are for the council clean-up aren't they?" and received the reply "No, that's our clothes; we're going away for the weekend!"
Fortunately the house was rented and the people soon moved on, so I didn't have to face them again!
Too Funny!!!

I had some sheet music on Freecycle for a week or two, no takers. So I divided it into 2 lots, put it on ebay starting at $15 each lot (free shipping) and there are 7 people watching it after 2 days.

After much experience on Freecycle, I now add to the bottom of every offer - "Must be picked up, I don't go out much and can not meet you anywhere." It is amazing how many people want you to meet them half way, or even deliver the item (!)-- gas is too expensive for me to go driving around to meet someone who might not show up.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by gspsplease View Post
Bet they just said that to embaress you. My sister and I were out garage sailing one day and saw a lot of people standing in an open garage, so we stopped. Think how we felt when it turned out to be a family reunion! We should have said we were long lost cousins. LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Both my daughters got their sewing machines this way and they were new--one on the curb and one from the dumpster.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:48 AM

I've tried to have garage sales, no on even stops. Can't figure it out, as I love to go and often and usually meet lots of people. So we don't do that any more. If we have anything we want to get rid of we set it out at the road. Usually gone within the hour! Better than the landfil.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Used to "dumpster dive" when I was doing a lot of rebates/refunds and needed UPC codes. Got too old...and stopped the rebates. Now I just go to our "recycle" center (aka dump) and have been very pleasantly surprised what folks will put out on the swap table. I've even scored quilts this way! Some good ones, others I use when I need to pad stuff in the trunk of my car. Most are not handmade (that I can tell), but free is free. Enjoy your new finds!