Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rearranged my sewing room and upset some birds. >

Rearranged my sewing room and upset some birds.

Rearranged my sewing room and upset some birds.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Default Rearranged my sewing room and upset some birds.

I rearranged my sewing/guest/computer room (8' x 10') - only had 3 things to move, bed, sewing machine, and computer desk. Worked out GREAT and I even had plugs to plug everything in!! And I have a CHAIR to sit in instead of sitting on the end of the bed to use the computer. Should have done it years ago!

But, now I am facing a window at the back of the house. I have nesting platforms on that side that the phoebes use and they do NOT like it when someone is visible through the window. (the other window on that side is my bathroom, they don't like it when I am in there either!)

They hover in front of the window as if to say "Are you still here? Shoo, shoo!" I notice they have nest building materials in their beaks right now. I love having them around, they eat a lot of bugs.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Maybe you can get some of that film they put on windows; the one you can see out of but cannot look in! How neat it would be to watch their progress.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Do you have pics of your re-arranged sewing room? I need to do something with mine and it's a small room also...about 9x10. Have a L-shaped computer desk, a bookcase and a sewing table with drawers and everything else is stacked in the middle...have little path to get to computer and would have to move bins to get to sewing table!! LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

As a quilter, you could easily make them a privacy screen ..... a temporary curtain!!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Maybe try some sheer curtains? I have some in my dining room. We can see out, and the light comes in, but the hummers and the finches at the feeders 2 feet in front of the window do not seem bothered when someone walks by. Only when someone moves the curtains!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 AM

I would not recommend the reflective material because some birds go a bit nuts when they see their reflection. They will think there's another bird in their territory. We used to have a problem with a cardinal attacking his reflection in a window. I'd go with the sheer curtains.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Awe, how neat! Maybe some shears.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM

I am not going to worry about them. The first year we lived here, they built a nest under the deck, on top of a rolled up garden hose. Flew out every time someone walked on the deck. Next year I saw them trying to build a nest on a round outside thermometer, so then I put up the platforms for them, tucked under the eaves so they stay nice and dry.
They are like fussy little old ladies, always getting upset about something. One time we were sitting on the porch and one of the fledglings flew over and sat right near us. The 2 parents were farther away, worrying and squawking like crazy.

I love watching birds. Even phoebes that aren't beautiful or melodious. Today I looked out on the deck and there were 2 nuthatches very interested in a piece of rope that was out there, picking at the raw end to get some fiber for a nest. I think I will put out some yarn bits for them.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM

The birds also LOVE fabric scrap strips. One year I threw them all over the back yard (I'm surrounded by trees on 3 sides) and had the most colorful nests all over the place. The neighbors remarked on their colorful nest so it seems I decorated quite a few yards.

Right now I have a bunch of baby indigo buntings....prettiest blue I've ever seen. The adults were with them the first few days but no where to be seen now. Just those plump little babies.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM

Good idea to put some material for nests building but make sure that the ropes or cords are very short like 3-4 inches no more so that the feet don't get caught and they cannot fled the nest.
can you post a picture?