Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Bobbin Case Removal >

Featherweight Bobbin Case Removal

Featherweight Bobbin Case Removal

Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Featherweight Bobbin Case Removal

I have a featherweight with thread jammed behind the bobbin case base. I've tried everything in order to remove it. I'm able to remove the gib screw and the gib moves out, but the bobbin case base won't slide to the proper position in order to remove it. I've tried heat and a lot of oil, but the bobbin case base won't budge. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM

I wish I could help..... sounds like you are more knowledgeable than I. I have 2 FWs but haven't had this happen to me so I'll be watching to see what advise you get.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Are you sure you removed all the screws attaching the bobbin assembly to the shaft? If so, you can squirt a little WD40 or liquid wrench into the area to see if it loosens it up. Be sure to wipe off any excess and don't let it get on any paint.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM

Lynn,

Go here http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php for a how-to on clearing thread jams.
It looks like he's had to redo his sit as the pics don't show up. But he does have very concise instructions on how to do it.

Joe
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM

I know how to remove the bobbin case base because I've done it on other featherweight machines. The problem is I can't rotate the bobbin case base around to the point where it can be removed...it won't budge. I've removed the gib screw and pulled the gib out. Thanks for the advice, but I think this one is going to be very difficult. I just hope I can eventually accomplish it. Maybe someone else has some ideas...I hope.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM

I had this happen on my FW. I could undo the gib screw and take the gib out but couldn't go any further. I finally was able to wiggle (gently) and pull the thread out. NOW, though, I can't get the bobbin case/gib lined back up correctly. The needle hits "something" when I turn the hand wheel. I took a pic and will post it to see if anyone can figure out what I'm going wrong. I have the manual and it "seems" to be lined up correctly. She's just sitting waiting on me to get her to feeling better!! When I get frustrated, I tend to walk away and it takes me a while to get back to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I had this happen on my FW. I could undo the gib screw and take the gib out but couldn't go any further. I finally was able to wiggle (gently) and pull the thread out. NOW, though, I can't get the bobbin case/gib lined back up correctly. The needle hits "something" when I turn the hand wheel. I took a pic and will post it to see if anyone can figure out what I'm going wrong. I have the manual and it "seems" to be lined up correctly. She's just sitting waiting on me to get her to feeling better!! When I get frustrated, I tend to walk away and it takes me a while to get back to it.
You have to get it back in time. If you google timing sewing machines you can see where the hook needs to be. The needle is hitting something because removing the bobbin assembly means you have to retime it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM

What and where is the gib screw? Is there a picture?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM

My featherweight would not take up the bobbin thread and the top thread kept getting wound around the back of the bobbin. I started researching on the QB and web as to how to take it apart. As I started to examine the parts of my bobbin base, I found that the little "thingy" that fits up where the needle comes down is broken off! I think you can see in the picture where it is broken off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]412187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412188[/ATTACH]

I found one on eBay for (just the base) for $39.00. One site wanted $238.00 for the whole thing. Glad I just found the base!
Attached Thumbnails singerbobbincase1.jpg   singerbobbincase2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default Can't remove bobbine case base either!!

Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
I have a featherweight with thread jammed behind the bobbin case base. I've tried everything in order to remove it. I'm able to remove the gib screw and the gib moves out, but the bobbin case base won't slide to the proper position in order to remove it. I've tried heat and a lot of oil, but the bobbin case base won't budge. Anyone have any ideas on this?
I have the SAME problem Lynn! Did you ever find out how to get it out! :/ This is my first 221, just bought it and it is so jammed up I can not remove the bobbin case base. Very sad, was looking forward to using it right away. This guy recommends kerosene, http://www.novamontgomery.com/singer...month.htm/#Jam

Not sure I wanna do that. ANYBODY, have another idea?

Thanks