Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I may be buying a new-to-me 99K :) >

I may be buying a new-to-me 99K :)

I may be buying a new-to-me 99K :)

Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 AM

Default I may be buying a new-to-me 99K :)

I found one nearby and I plan to check it out this afternoon! Seller states that "machine was serviced Oct 2011 ($70) (receipt available showing service received)" and is in "perfect working condition". She is asking $100 which includes the wood cabinet which has been painted.

I am completely new to Vintage machines (even though I do have my Mother-in-law's treadle that I hope to restore some day) and I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom or suggestions to what to look for or ask when I look at the machine. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Take thread and fabric with you and test the machine. Sometimes "service" doesn't count....as in the case of the local guy to me...his skills are less than mine, and I don't have any!!

Once you've made sure the machine works properly, make an offer on it. Less, of course than the $100 she's asking for. I'd probably offer the $70, so she at least gets her money back from taking it in for service that she could have done herself... ~wink~ The cabinet lost value when they painted it, altho cabinets to fit the 3/4 machines are harder to come by. If you really want it, and she insists, pay the $100...you'll still have a better machine than anything you could buy retail in today's market, and you'll love using it!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 AM

Oh...and for that much money, if the decals and finish on the machine aren't PERFECT, I'd still pass... there are too many nice machines out there....
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Sounds like a good deal!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM

Charlee, do you think they are asking too much? I just talked to the daughter (she posted it for her mother) and she saws its sews very nice (but I will take fabric, thanks for suggesting that!). The daughter said her mother has just been diagnosed with cancer for the third time and if treatment goes well enough, she decided she wants to travel more and therefore won't be home sewing so much.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I would get it if it has a reverse and has perfect decals and finnish. It is a pitty they painted the cabinet.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Card Crafter View Post
Charlee, do you think they are asking too much? I just talked to the daughter (she posted it for her mother) and she saws its sews very nice (but I will take fabric, thanks for suggesting that!). The daughter said her mother has just been diagnosed with cancer for the third time and if treatment goes well enough, she decided she wants to travel more and therefore won't be home sewing so much.
If the machine is in GREAT condition and the cabinet as well, even tho it's been painted, I'd probably pay that much... reluctantly.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Well she came home with me and she's in great shape! All decals are perfect, the only flaw I have found is one small chip in her paint. And she sews wonderfully! As far as the cabinet, it is in fair condition other than the paint.

I have already received an email from the daughter telling me how happy her mom was that someone bought her that truly appreciates her! That in itself makes my day!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Photos soon?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 AM

Congratulations on your new acquisition!