Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hello, New Here, new 99K owner. >

Hello, New Here, new 99K owner.

Hello, New Here, new 99K owner.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:29 AM

Default Hello, New Here, new 99K owner.

Hello,

Joined yesterday, I am a new owner of a Singer 99k, built the same year as moi, 1955.

I have modern sewing/embroidery machines too.

Quick question please, could I use a ruler quilting foot on my machine please, such as a Westalee?

Machine is off having a service at the moment, was very good condition but didn't cope too well with the journey, nothing was secured in the package, the thread spool pierced through the case (suitcase type), thread tensioner got bent, got a large refund from the seller, small dink in the paintwork just below the serial number, would love to get that sorted some time.

Can the piece of red felt where the bobbin goes be replaced, it looks a mess?

Thanks all,

Jan.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:28 AM

Oh, no. I hardly trust couriers anymore, especially with sewing machines. When possible I prefer to pick a machine locally and it's safer to have it in the back of the car. There are a few posts on how to pack a machine, the standard seems to be loads of bubble wraps, styrofoam and double casing. Loose items like pedal and accessories should be wrapped too. Buyer has to inform sender in detail, it happens all the time; it's mentioned in blogs and web posts regularly.

There are posts and tutorials on how to replace the felt wick, but you can manually oil the hook and race until you get a chance to do it. It works just as well, but has to be done a bit more frequently. The turorial is for an older 66, and your 99 is about the same but with a lift up lever for the bobbin case release. You don't have to unscrew anything for cleaning and oiling, and it can be quite a bit of fuzz to get it back together again, when you unscrew the lever or bracket holding it all in place, the parts under the bobbin case starts to float around and they have to be adjusten just so to not interfere with thread tension. Luckily there are tutorials for this as well as the service manual, but it requires a bit of read up and it's a bit of a test and trial situation. It's with in a DIY repair, just make sure you are up for it, and if you replace the wick all these parts have to come out.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-15-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:12 AM

Welcome Jan.

I'm not sure about ruler work on the 99 as the feed dogs don't drop. There was a feed dog cover plate that could be used for darning and embroidery, but it did not come with the standard attachments. The machine needed to be threaded a tad differently than regular sewing. Do you have a manual for your machine? You can see some ruler work Theresa has done with a 15-88 at Ruler work on my 15-88

Glad you know that the red felt is supposed to be there. Yes it can be replaced. I would suggest you download all the pdf files at http://web.archive.org/web/201610160...achine_manual/ They are for non electric machines (15, 66, 99 & 201), but an excellent resource. "The lower bobbin area" pdf has how to change the felt on page 3.

Have fun.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:06 AM

Thank you both for your responses.

No chance of collecting it as it was in the north of England and I'm in the south. The clips and latches to hold both the machine in the case, the extension in the case and the accessories lid were not used. The seller said he'd never sold one before so I gave him a lesson.

The one I have is a hand crank machine.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 AM

I do have the Instruction booklet for the machine Janey plus the original purchase receipt.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:14 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592980[/ATTACH]This is my beauty, missing her already, calling her Ramona.
Attached Thumbnails singer99k.jpg  
Old 04-15-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Aquilegia View Post

The one I have is a hand crank machine.
Ramona is a beauty.

Lucky you. I have a 15 clone hand crank. Would like a smaller hand crank.

Just curious, does the manual just have for 99k or are there some other numbers?

Did you get attachments?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM

I looked up the Westalee foot, and I think it should work fine. A 99 threads from left to right, and it's not an isssue for tis foot. The only thing I know is that jumping feet are a fuzz to find for a 99. It has a slightly different angle to the neelde and presser bar, some jumping feet end up dragging the entire presser bar half way up during stitching. I can't see any trouble with a low shank Westalee foot from pictures. I know some have managed to darn and free motion well on a 99 and 66, it's not a favorite for the job like a 15. The horizontal bobbin case might be a bit more fuzzy when it comes to getting tension right, or it's just me because I hardly do any free motion. On this forum there is woman who has removed the feed dogs on a 66 and set it up exclusively for quilting and free motion. A 66 is the larger version of the 99. I hope get the spool pin straight again, it can be replaced. They are slightly tapered at the tend and go in with a light tap of a mallet or hammer with wood piece in between to prevent dent marks.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:51 AM

This was my haul Janey.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593011[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 99k-hauls.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 AM

Thank you Mickey2.

I have a Westalee high shank for two of my Janomes and I know they're not the right fit but didn't want to get a low shank one without finding out.