Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Should I tie or quilt this? >

Help! Should I tie or quilt this?

Help! Should I tie or quilt this?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Question Help! Should I tie or quilt this?

The photo is of a lap quilt I've made for my father-in-law's 85th birthday. He is the family historian/geneologist. He grew up very near to Appomatox, VA and his family history is filled with Civil War survivors (and also some that didn't make it). He is quite a history buff and when I found this pattern (which is named "Appomatox") I knew it was perfect for him!

I am trying to decide how to quilt it and would like your input. There are 3 options that I can think of: 1) cross-hatch it on the machine; 2) hand-quilt it - perhaps 1/4" inside each quilt block; or 3) tie it with yarn, as I think it may have been done during the Civil War era. I've used reproduction fabrics and I think it is similar to what was called a "cot quilt," used by the common soldier for functionality - to sleep upon or under for warmth.

I appreciate your input - I need to have it done by next weekend!!!
Attached Thumbnails p1010011.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 PM

FYI - the photo isn't very good - here it looks like the bottom is all blue and the rest is brown and gold -- it's really pretty well balanced with the colors!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:22 PM

I attended a lecture last weekend about Civil War quilts. We learned that occasionally an intricate family quilt was sent with soldiers. However, if a cot quilt was made on the spot and needed in a hurry, it was a simple design like you have, and it was tied. They were not machine quilted.

If it was hand quilted, it would have been done with rows close together unless the "batting" was an old blanket. Both cotton and wool batting at the time would have required close hand stitching. Materials were in short supply during the war.

There were a lot of hand stitched "fancy" quilts made during the Civil War as fundraisers for the cause also - both North and South.

The whole topic is very interesting. Your quilt is a wonderful tribute to your family, and your father-in-law will love it!

Dayle
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Normally I would say to quilt it, but in this case I think a tied quilt would be just wonderful. Your FIL would appreciate the historical accuracy. This is a wonderful gift, into which you've put a lot of thought. I'm sure he will love it.

Interesting topic. Great quilt.

It will be beautiful. Tie it with embroidery floss or #5 pearle cotton and he will love it! The picture is very clear by the way.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:41 PM

I agree - tie it with pearle cotton!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Your responses are just what I needed to hear - thank you soooo much! FYI - I have egg on my face - I looked at the quilt again and I have one section (2 rows) out of place - hence the excess blues at the bottom of the quilt. Tomorrow I will attack it with the seam ripper and make it all right! Then to find backing -- either reproduction fabric or muslin -- and will tie it with pearle cotton. Thank you ladies!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I attended a lecture last weekend about Civil War quilts. We learned that occasionally an intricate family quilt was sent with soldiers. However, if a cot quilt was made on the spot and needed in a hurry, it was a simple design like you have, and it was tied. They were not machine quilted.

If it was hand quilted, it would have been done with rows close together unless the "batting" was an old blanket. Both cotton and wool batting at the time would have required close hand stitching. Materials were in short supply during the war.

There were a lot of hand stitched "fancy" quilts made during the Civil War as fundraisers for the cause also - both North and South.

The whole topic is very interesting. Your quilt is a wonderful tribute to your family, and your father-in-law will love it!

Dayle
Any suggestions on what type of batting to use (in today's world of excess choices) based on what you leared from the lecture?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CathieB View Post
Your responses are just what I needed to hear - thank you soooo much! FYI - I have egg on my face - I looked at the quilt again and I have one section (2 rows) out of place - hence the excess blues at the bottom of the quilt. Tomorrow I will attack it with the seam ripper and make it all right! Then to find backing -- either reproduction fabric or muslin -- and will tie it with pearle cotton. Thank you ladies!
It really doesn't need rearranging - looks great as it is.