Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heart Potholders -- Materials for >

Heart Potholders -- Materials for

Heart Potholders -- Materials for

Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Heart Potholders -- Materials for

Several years ago, I designed/drew up a pattern for heart-shaped potholders. I really was quite wrapped up in making those - dozens of them. Well, you might have guessed, I really grew tired of them. Really, they make up very nicely, but I'm ready to go to something else more useful -- such as quilts.

I am going to be out of town and out of touch for the next week because my baby brother died yesterday, but this idea of mine has been plaguing me. I have dozens of pair of heart potholders cut out, some with pellon already fused. I also have tons of bias binding, decorative lace, decorative ribbon, etc., and a lot of fabric (just large enough for the potholders), as well as appliques, etc. While I cannot really do anything with it right now, I would like to give this stuff away to, perhaps someone who is interested in crafts but may not be able to afford to purchase the materials -- I don't know --- I would prefer the materials be used for someone's benefit, rather than rot in a box here at my house. Besides, I need the room for quilting materials! LOL!

Does anyone have some ideas on how this might be accomplished? I would even ship the materials at my expense. It just seems a real waste-- to just sit here!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 PM

jeanette sometimes a guessing game is used to give free items away. sometimes its whomever responds first with a private message. sometimes items get gifted for postage only. you will need to decide how you want to give these items away.

what you are offering sounds wonderful and would best be posted under offers or pay it forward. click on the home tab and you will see offers listed near the bottom of the page. there will be plenty of board members who will want what this generous offering. it is a good thing that you recognize that these things would do others good instead of just sitting in box storage in your home. how nice. good luck with your give away. you should get plenty of responses.

mary
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost my brother yesterday too My prayers go out to you and your family.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 AM

why don't you use them as applique on your quilts. Make blocks big enough for them and sew them into a quilt.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear you lost your brother that can be real tough/

I hope when you do donate your hearts someone that cant afford material gets them not just someone who will ask for them because they are free
Old 06-23-2012, 06:41 PM

What about the local high school sewing department?

Sorry for your loss :
Old 06-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Banned

I am sorry for your loss...why not donate it to a local church group..perhaps the ladies who are doing the funeral meal cooking...everyone loves donations in today's economy!
Keep it local though...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM

I belong to a quilt guild in Dothan, AL. I know we are not local to you, but pretty local to FL in AL!! We make baby blankets and pillowcases for direct donations to hospitals (Shriners picked up 200 pillowcases recently) and everyone does a square for an "opportunity quilt" that we sell tickets for (can't call it a raffle here). We do a quilt show in November at Landmark Park, and we have a bazaar table. All of the members make items for the bazaar table and donate them, as all the proceeds of sales go to several charities. Last year we donated to Dothan Food Bank, and were able to help several other small charities. I know the guild would be thrilled to finish the potholders and they would be great money-makers for our charities. You can reach me at: linda 8450 with at sign aol (no spaces). I am not going to be home, but can arrange for you to send to the guild president (also named Linda) if you are so inclined! Thanks, Linda
Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 AM

Try contacting your senior citizens facility and see if they could use them