Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm tired of working on the things, I wanna use 'em! >

I'm tired of working on the things, I wanna use 'em!

I'm tired of working on the things, I wanna use 'em!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM

Default I'm tired of working on the things, I wanna use 'em!

In the last 9 months I've been working on and tinkering with the machines we've bought. Some have set waiting for parts, others have been worked on and didn't respond or need more parts, so they are also sitting. And others have responded, sew beautifully and don't get used much. (That's what happens when you have a bunch of them.)

Now I'm to the point of just about being burned out from working on them ... I wanna use 'em.

I've got my denim quilt started and waiting, and a quilted cover for my #2 treadle partially done. Those have been put off and put off and put off while I "try" to fix the ailing machines.

So I do believe I'll see what I can do with the Kenmore with the messed up tension, the little rusted Singer 99K (Rusty) that's back together, but will need more parts. I thought I could clean up the bobbin carrier and the latching part so it would sew, but I guess the rust pits are causing such a drag he just can't sew. He's gonna wait a while for more parts.

And then there's the Dressmaker 7000 that has an out of adjustment needle position. That one is gonna be easy, or a PITA. I don't know yet.

But >>> after these, I'm going to start working on my quilts. We got enough machines that if one breaks it can just sit.

;-> Joe
Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Good luck on the tension on the Kenmore, My 1961 Kenmore was replaced with an Elna in 1973 because it wouldn't hold the tension. So aggravating when you are trying to outfit a large family - no quilting then. I still have the machine in hiding.

I know the feeling of wanting to sew. I love my flowers and my house, but their upkeep is taking away from quilting time. Your denim quilt sounds cool. Are you doing the decorative stitches in different colors? My red varigated would look good on denim.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 AM

I was just whining to Skip in PMs that I was tired of working on cabinets and wanted to "just sew"! His response was to put the cabinets away, they won't go anywhere and will be there when you're ready to work on them again. Couldn't do that, HAD to have them finished. If I have them in the house, they have to look nice, and if I put them in storage, I may never see them again!
Cabinets are finished, and this morning I'm finishing a pillow cover that I started 21 years ago! (Long story, I'll post a pic in the quilt photo thread)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 AM

I was just talking with a friend about that.......I keep collecting machines and working on them but right now, I want to sew-----I guess the machines will wait....some have already waited a long time to get cleaned up------
Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 AM

I feel the same way. My to do list of quilt patterns are piling up, and my machines are all screaming at me to use them. My summer will be spent gardening and making quilts.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's projects posted!! Have fun with your vintage ladies and gents quilting!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM

I'll post a couple pics of what I have started later today.

Joe
Old 06-25-2012, 12:54 PM

Hi Joe,

I'm with you and all of the others who have replied. I just started collecting and working on vintage machines in January and have only made one quilt in that time. Feel so guilty. It is time to use what I have that are working ((9) and leave the others (3) until the fall. Lots of cabinets to refinish but that can wait also. Just want to create and sew for now. Will post pics when I have finished something.

I'm a senior member now, I'm a senior member now (said in a sing-song manner.)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM

I have come to the realization that life is too precious to be tied to the "I musts" all the time. The roses need smelling and the quilts need making...if you want. Bills must be paid, that is a given along with few other things but life is to be enjoyed too. Take you time off as well deserved!

piney
Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Sounds like it is time to take a break Joe. Put those girls and guys away. They are not going anywhere, LOL. Start working on you quilts. I think it will refresh the mind and not be so injurious to the body parts. i.e. fingers.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Caroline,

I hear you. My finder is mending, but it reminds me every time I try to pick something up.

Joe