Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tried this and it worked. >

Tried this and it worked.

Tried this and it worked.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Default Tried this and it worked.

OK - last week I wrote about the Artistic 18 longarm skipping stitches while it was in "Cruise" mode and going in a backward motion. After doing every fix in the book and correcting the timing and raising the needle bar and adjusting the hopper foot ... it still skipped stitches. So after a call to the place of purchase they suggested unplugging everything. The encoders, the light, the "brain" of the machine and even unplug it from the wall for at least 1 hour. Well, I did that and when I went to sew ... it worked great. No more skipped stitches. Then I moved the handles to the back of the machine and tried the laser light - and it began to skip stitches. So I did the unplug it all and guess what .... now it workd great but I can't keep doing this. So I think the problem is in the "Brain" of the machine which is attached to the handle bar and plugs into the side of the sewing machine. I will be calling the shop again tomorrow to report my finding and maybe they can send me a new "control pack Brain" and see if this new one works consistantly.

They say there is a learing curve but this is getting laughable!

Bonnie aka KylersNanaB
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Glad you figured it out! The learning curve for longarms is the biggest curve I've ever encountered! And I've painted in every medium and done stained glass.........among all the other handcrafts out there.

Happy sewing!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Is there a longarm machine that works like it's suppose to without glitches in the machine every time you use it? All the LA's I know are always having problems about the machines messing up and going through hoops before the dealer will even think about really helping. Honestly I don't know one LA dealer in my area that I trust to be of any help if I buy a multi thousand dollar machine from them after seeing how they treat other customers. Getting a company rep from any of them is impossible. I don't think the companies know or care how bad the dealers can be.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Long Arm machine is a dream of mine- but after hearing about the troubles makes me wonder if I truely want one.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Is there a longarm machine that works like it's suppose to without glitches in the machine every time you use it? All the LA's I know are always having problems about the machines messing up and going through hoops before the dealer will even think about really helping. Honestly I don't know one LA dealer in my area that I trust to be of any help if I buy a multi thousand dollar machine from them after seeing how they treat other customers. Getting a company rep from any of them is impossible. I don't think the companies know or care how bad the dealers can be.
I seriously LOVE my Apqs machine. I rarely have problems with it and if I do it's usually operator ignorance. The Apqs staff are terrific to help you with any problem. Rarely have tension problems...I just can't say enough good things about it. Jennie(my Mille) and I have bonded quite nicely!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
I seriously LOVE my Apqs machine. I rarely have problems with it and if I do it's usually operator ignorance. The Apqs staff are terrific to help you with any problem. Rarely have tension problems...I just can't say enough good things about it. Jennie(my Mille) and I have bonded quite nicely!
I seriously love my APQS, too, and my Dealer is great. If I have a question, she helps me or she contacts the main office to get the answer or to contact me. I have no complaints. My previous long arm for a different company, however---long story--but I did not receive the same excellent support that I receive now with APQS. I agree that every long arm brand will have issues. No long arm is going to run perfect 100% of the time. It's like owning a car--there's always going to be something that needs fixing at some time or another.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Innova's customer service is top notch, 24/7, and you speak directly to an owner who knows the machine backwards and forwards. He doesn't want you to get frustrated with the machine rather than call. Of course there are bound to be questions, user error, and occasionally a machine doesn't work right and needs to be fixed, but the service is there! I haven't needed to call my dealer, ever, and seldom needed to call the factory, but when I did I got instant help.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Wish you lived in the SC-GA area...I bought my Gammill from a dealer in Snellville, GA and she and her husband have been wonderful! I've had one problem with it, a tension problem, and her husband stayed on the phone with me for the length of time it took until I had it fixed, and he and I checked it out. They came in and set it up when I bought it and didn't leave until I was relatively comfortable with it, and that said a lot to me. Good luck in finding someone like them!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

After quilting on a domestic machine for 10+ years and being very comfortable doing it. No way would I drop that kind of money for possible problems I have read about these machines. Just me.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 PM

I am new to longarm quilting - my husband bought me a Gammill last summer. I have about 25 hours on it so far and have only had one major problem with tension - I would have caught it earlier if my friend hadn't been distracting me - it was her quilt and she helped do all the "ripping". Once she was gone, I reloaded it onto the machine, went to the local quilt shop and talked with the owner, then came home and adjusted the tension on the bobbin case and quilted her quilt in no time at all without any issues.

I bought mine used and haven't had any interaction with the representatives in our area. I do know that I visited the quilt shop they are located in and left feeling "ignored". I will have to give them another chance, but it will take me awhile. They aren't close by and I don't get there often.

My biggest problem with owning my longarm is CONFIDENCE! I am gaining more each day with each new project.