Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm having buyer's remorse...... help me!!! >

I'm having buyer's remorse...... help me!!!

I'm having buyer's remorse...... help me!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll do fine. Our local quilt shop has classes for folks; does yours in AR? That might be helpful.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Good for you. Just tell yourself you will learn to use and you will practice until you do get it right. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Awesome! I've been longarming for almost a year and although I have a love/hate relationship with my machine, I love longarm quilting! Just remember to breathe! You'll love it!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Just allow yourself to feel remorse for a bit. And then it will pass, especially when you take delivery on this wonderful machine, and you'll be okay. There's no help for it, I think, if you're built like that. The last time I bought a car it sat in my driveway for days and I wouldn't even look at it or drive it, I had such remorse. But it passed and I was fine. For some people, it's just a big GULP! thinking about spending all that money......after you've done it!

You've done something good for yourself. Try to relax and enjoy it!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 PM

I bought my LA 2 years ago.Was all excited when I purchased it;when they sent me the e-mail it was arriving; and then....it hit me! I spent ALL this money! What if I am not able to do this? Ive watched just about every video on line there is to watch-what if I am fooling myself?.....Well it arrived-husband(who is wonderful in supporting my adventure) had set it up and helped me load my practice piece.....AND there it sat......for 6 months!!!! I was too afraid to try it thinking Id break it and had no one to help me fix it.Anyways, a co-quilting friend said to jump right in;the water is fine! So what if you arent perfect? That is what practicing is all about.So with her help- music and alot of laughter- we did manage to get the practice piece off the frame.It wasnt the best but I at least DID IT!!!! And now-though I still have a LONG WAY to go;I am happy with what I do on it.So forget the regrets and enjoy your new toy!Have a great day!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 PM

I did the same thing. I know it sounds unbeliveable to most quilters, but the doubt will get to you. I did not open my machine for months.Just remember Rome wasn't built in a dayand you will not master this in a week.My machine said to use for a month off the frame to get the feel of it,and it was a great help. You will get the hang of this, maybe you will have to use panographs and that will be okay also.Long-arm quilting has a learning curve of 3 to 4 months is what I was told.I also to my neddle out and got the feel of how the machine worked without fear of breaking needles. Have a great time with your new purchase.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM

I had a little bit of apprehension when my Innova 26" first arrived. Once I went to the training classes and started playing with it on my own, I absolutely love it. I had learned on a smaller Nolting and then a Gammill, tried a Tin Lizzie and an HQ, but fell in love with the Innova when I tried it at the dealer. The only thing I don't regret is not having as much time anymore to play with it (I went back to work FT a few months ago).
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
You will love your machine! What will you name it? I had a nustyle called Momma Machine (long story)..now I have a TL18LS I simply call Lizzie.
Find a yahoo group for Nolting machines & join...search every part of that group & ask tons of questions. But...remember that the online groups for specific machines are going to have more HELP! posts than I LOVE IT! posts.

Our TinLizzieLongarm group on yahoo has over 760 members..about 1% post on a regular basis...and most of those are new users asking questions, having issues (usually tension or user errors)..and the rest are the replies to help them learn their machine. It's the nature of the online groups for specific products...folks can't get to a dealer after hours, and come onto the groups to get help...and usually do get that help.

I am on several groups with a lady who has 2 Noltings & just loves them. She does all kinds of quilts. http://www.seajayquilting.com/
Connie is the owner of seajayquilting & is very helpful and has helped me many times.
Thanks!!! I am going to look her up!! I hope I love mine!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM

The lady that will be coming to set up my machine will show me how to load it and how to use it all before she leaves. (she may have to spend the night) hehehehe! (or the week) After reading all of your experiences, I'm beginning to feel better about it. I just try not to think about it in $s and cents!! Yikes!!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 PM

I spent twice as much on my long arm as my car cost, my regret would have been not paying cash because I would have had trouble making the payment building a business takes a while