Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to sandwich quilt >

How to sandwich quilt

How to sandwich quilt

Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 AM

Question How to sandwich quilt

I live alone and find I sometimes need to make a sandwich at home. Living in a cottage m rooms are small with not enough space to quilt in 1 go.
Would it be better to use spray glue or to pin or stitch the sandwich
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I prefer spray glue over any of the other options.
So far I haven't had any problems with it coming apart as I work.
I'm sure if I pinned ... I'd catch the pins in the machine or in the other pins!
And if I basted ... I'd have to take the stitching out, and I don't like extra work!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

that is of course a personal decision- some people really like to spray baste- you do need to have ventilation= protect surrounding areas from over-spray but i think you can do it in sections which may be easier when space is limited.
i hate pinning- (mainly because then you have to work around all those pins & take them back out-ugh!
i mainly thread baste-
some people have figured out how to baste their sandwich using a dining table- do a search for tutorials on basting your quilt in small areas. there are a couple u-tube videos that show some good techniques for working in limited space.
when i have a really large quilt i want/need to baste i go down to the community center & use their floor space or tables- our public library also has a couple rooms in the basement that locals are able to use for free- we just have to call & make sure no one else already has them & it does need to be when they are open.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Try Sharon Schamber video on u tube - I have learned the hard way you need to take you time with her method and make sure that everything is smooth. If I have good ventilation ( live in Manhattan in a small apt) I would prefer the spray basting method of hanging the quit on the wall - there is a video of that method too - not sure where I saw it.