Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Turn Your Headlights On When It's Raining? >

Do You Turn Your Headlights On When It's Raining?

Do You Turn Your Headlights On When It's Raining?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 PM

well, if it ever rained in west texas, i'de be glad to turn my lights on.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Many don't turn on the headlights during the day because they forget to turn them off when they get where they are going. Dead Batteries!! We have a roadway with one way traffic going each way Only the lane lines between them that it is required to have head lights on but most don't turn them one because of the fore stated reason. When wipers are on anywhere in the state the lights must be on. I can see why but when you just have to have the lights on because of the way the road is and it is very sunny out sometimes it is a hazard with traffic coming straight at you.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM

I have mine set on auto and so they are always on.....when it gets dark they all go on !! So I am sure you can see me coming all the time.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:27 PM

I turn mine on, whenever there's any doubt of others seeing me. Rain, dusk, whatever.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I do! People around here can't drive in the rain and I want to be seen!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM

My lights are always on. I thought it was the law to have em on when raining everywhere. But I ain't one to gossip, so you ain't heard dat from me!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 PM

I think it is the law that if the wipers are running you are to have headlights on. Not the parking lights but the low beams.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM

In Missouri, we have signs on the highways that say, "Lights on when wipers required." I turn mine on any time the light quality makes it hard to see but many people don't and I haven't seen the cops enforce the rule. I don't think it's a matter of forgetting to turn them off later & running the battery down. I haven't driven a car or pickup that didn't beep if you leave the lights on for many years. I know the 1999 Ford Ranger pickup beeps and I believe my daughter's 1997 Chevy Cavalier beeps.

Motorcycles are required to have their lights on all the time.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Sometimes it's even worse in fog than when it's raining. I've lived several places with heavy morning fog at certain times of the year. If people don't have their lights on (at least the little yellow ones) they run a very good chance of causing a serious accident.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Yes, definitely the law here in NJ. And most cars with 'daytime running lights' only have headlights lit - which meets the state requirement 'wipers on; headlights on' but usually the daytime running lights do not include any rear lights. Most vehicles with 'auto on' lights - both front/rear lights are on. Like so many other things, wonder how we managed when we had to do things on our own! When I was taught to drive 40+ years ago, it was taught that you turned your lights on when it was dusk / rainy / etc. Didn't have auto anything in those days. Granted there might be a dead battery once in a while, but.... Now as to lights on when on single lane roads even in the daytime - I personally think that's a bit of overkill. Been on those type of roads and done it but not sure I really see much advantage. In today's world most cars have daytime running lights anyhow. I find it horribly distracting in bright sunlight myself.