Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 AM

I still do hand embroidery. I enjoy doing it .My mother taught me how when I was a little girl and I continue to do it now that Iam over fifty.It is very relaxing . :lol:
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 AM

Rhonda,
I love any kind of handwork. It is very relaxing. My latest embroidery projects have been redwork. They finish fast and can be incorporated in with my quilting. I've done redwork in blue, black and multicolor. Embroidery or any kind of handwork is especially nice out on the deck during the warm summer months.
Marie
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 AM

Check out the Crabapple Hill patterns to combine your quilting and embroidery. I'm using the 12 wt. Sulky thread and loving it. We have an embroidery club, that is an off shoot of a class that is currently working on a Kathy Schmitz pattern called Ring in the New. Vicky in Ohio
Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 AM

I still do quite a bit of embroidery by hand, usually stamped pieces like table runners or napkins but my favorite is to embroider stamped baby quilts.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 AM

I still embroider by hand as taught by my grandmother and mother. Have a cut-work table cloth project they started me on over 50 years ago -- on which all of the embroidery finally is finished. Just cutting between the stitching remains to be done before attaching all of the embroidered squares.
Sadly, few people want or use such things any more.

Doing hand-work is my personal form of meditation.

Marveen
in Sunny Tucson
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 AM

I just joined this QB recently and enjoy your comments and questions very much and especially pictures of your projects. I live in Dayton, OH. I only started getting into embroidery and quilt making a couple of years ago, but have always loved it. I also crochet but usually give them all away shortly after making them. But isn't that what you make them for?

Last year I hand embroidered 12 quilt squares of a long stem rose and set it with red sashing to match the red roses, which turned our really pretty. This year I have completed 30 squares in 2 shades of blue for a quilt for my daughter. I hope to hand quilt this one. I get my quilt squares from jdneedleart.com. They have a much wider variety than Herschner's, and are of the same quality. If you can order at J. D. Needleart through a business, the cost is much less, i.e. $3.75 per 6 squares vs $9.99 for 6 squares on line. I also have a book I got at Joann's with directions to embroidery all kinds of flowers which I hope to get into soon. I think redwork is beautiful and have a book on that, too.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 AM

Oh Yes! I have been embroidering since I was a teenager! Have made many many table cloths, pillow cases and every year the grandkids get to choose a pic from their coloring book that I trace onto a tee shirt and embroider for them.

I just love encorporating various intricate stitches into things. It is a rewarding past time and I can take it anywhere. I love to knit too. Learned to that last year and keep the family stocked in wool socks for winter nights. It travels well too. We live on the other side of the ocean from our kids so, I seem to spend a fair amount of time going to or coming from on airplanes so I like to have something to keep my hands busy. Here in Norway my husband has 6 wks vacation and it's not too expensive to arrange 4 day weekends to different cities in Europe. Off to Krakow tomorrow for 6 days!

Have tried counted cross stitch, but I keep getting lost counting.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM

Hi, Yes I still do pillowcases and tea towels and small designs on grandaughters dresses occasionally. I am no expert by any means, yet I enjoy taking it along when i am traveling, although they won't let you on the airlines anymore, sad commentary on our crazy world.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunshine5
Hi, Yes I still do pillowcases and tea towels and small designs on grandaughters dresses occasionally. I am no expert by any means, yet I enjoy taking it along when i am traveling, although they won't let you on the airlines anymore, sad commentary on our crazy world.
Is it because of the scissors that you can't take it on the plane? When I don't have scissors I have used nail clippers to clip thread.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM

I just took a Dimensional Embroidery class last weekend here in West Virginia. My quilting mentor, Martha Offutt, designs the most beautiful patterns. You can get her patterns at 4seasonsstitchery and other places and directly from her. She teaches all sorts of 3-D flowers etc. and has made the most magnificent embroidered quilts! If you ever have a chance to take a class from her or try her patterns you should do it!!! There are others who try to teach her patterns but I wouldn't waste the money on them!