Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

I am getting back to hand quilting and embroidery. With the stress of today, I am making time for myself and my well being to sit and relax and do hand work.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM

I love doing both hand embroidery and cross-stitch. My Mother taught me to embroider when I was young........the only thing she could never teach me was to make French knots! I'm in my 50's and still have not mastered them. Anytime a French knot is called for I sew on a seed bead.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Yep, nail clippers are the answer! Luckily, the TSA has discovered that we knitters are not dangerous so we can now take our knitting with us again. I have to laugh when considering tiny scissors one uses for emboidery being considered dangerous. Couldn't they just decide on what size is okay and have them in the plastic bags with the liquids permitted?

But then, who am I to complain? I rather be safe than captured.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Yes I love to embroider by hand and I love the old fashioned look best. I generally change something on the piece and often just work up my own. I am teachimg my neice to embroider and to make quilts, too, because it does seem to be a dying art. I hope you will teach someone, too.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 AM

I still like to do embroidery by hand. Mine is not wonderful, but that is because I learned late. I have been doing cross stitch blocks for quilts and have done several for new grand babies. I do smocking and love it. So far I find the machine embroidery very boring. I do like the French hand sewing by machine, but that is not so restrictive as pre-programmed picture embroidery.

:roll:
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi Rhonda...Yes we are still out here. I particularly enjoy adding embroidery or redwork to my qulting pieces. It lends a wonderful "old time" touch to these projects and what great way to cure the boredom of watching TV.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 AM

I would go insane if I didn't keep a needle in my hand! I do crewel, redwork, bluework and my favorite blackwork mostly.

I like to design my own samplers when doing cross-stitch, I rarely "follow patterns." I love Hardanger, too.

I only have pictures of some penny blocks I put in a baby quilt for a friend. I'll put a couple of them here, maybe I can get my hubby to take some pics of my more impressive work to post later.

Shelly
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21964.jpe   attachment-23231.jpe   attachment-23232.jpe  
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I cheat when I make French knots. I got tired go them pulling back out so after I wrap the needle and go through the cloth I hold the knot tight with one hand and I come back up through the middle and take the thread over the edge of the coiled thread and go back down again angling the needle to go back through the center. It leaves the knot in place but it anchors it so it can't pull back through the fabric. My knots are not picture perfect but they still give the look.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM

I use a screen door glass that I prop between two TV tables with a light underneath. It is a pretty good size and I was able to trace a large center panel of a quilt using that method.

The panel is in the middle with the rest of the quilt around it. I made two.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34444[/ATTACH]

This is the quilt that I traced using the above method.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34445[/ATTACH]

The center panel is embroderied
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34445[/ATTACH]

The whole quilt. I did two.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34447[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34446.jpe   attachment-34447.jpe  
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lass
I did for the quilt that I have attached.
How beautiful!! In spirit as well as quilting and embroidery! I love the idea of using the scriptures that way!!

Are your swirls decorative or do they have meaning? I thought maybe Hebrew or something. If not that would be a neat touch to include a Hebrew word or sign