Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM

They are just decorative. A friend from Savanah sent me a very small book mark that had this entire panel on it. I enlarged it to a size that I thought I wanted to embroidery and then created the blocks to fit the size of the panel.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lass
They are just decorative. A friend from Savanah sent me a very small book mark that had this entire panel on it. I enlarged it to a size that I thought I wanted to embroidery and then created the blocks to fit the size of the panel.
You did a great job on it! It looks terrific!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM

thanks Rhonda.

Di
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Maureen - your SBS is beautiful. I love her in red- and bluework! That will be a lovely quilt when you finish. Please keep posting pictures.

I used to do a lot of crewel and needlepoint. Then I discovered quilting, and there was no turning back. For years, I was a handquilter. I have doublejointed thumbs, and when arthritis attacked them, it hurt too much to hand quilt, so now I'm learning to machine quilt. I bought an embroidery machine, so I could use outlines of embroideries as quilt designs. Also, I bought 4D Extra software, so I can design my own quilt designs. That's the closest I can come now to hand work. But I still love hand quilting by other people!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM

Maureen - your SBS is beautiful. I love her in red- and bluework! That will be a lovely quilt when you finish. Please keep posting pictures.

I used to do a lot of crewel and needlepoint. Then I discovered quilting, and there was no turning back. For years, I was a handquilter. I have doublejointed thumbs, and when arthritis attacked them, it hurt too much to hand quilt, so now I'm learning to machine quilt. I bought an embroidery machine, so I could use outlines of embroideries as quilt designs. Also, I bought 4D Extra software, so I can design my own quilt designs. That's the closest I can come now to hand work. But I still love hand quilting by other people!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Originally Posted by Skeat
Okay for all you handworkers espec in redwork...do you ever have a problem w/the dmc bleeding thru the white fabric......ever?! I'd so like to know!:)Skeat
Skeat -- I've never had any problem with any embroidery floss bleeding. I do wash in cold water, gentle cycle, and use those fabric color catcher thingies :roll: ...

Here is my "Lonestar Redwork":

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15553.page
Synthrapol - 1-3 tsp per wash - I used it with my black fabric, and it worked!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM

I do some hand embroidery. I especially like the Crabapple Hill patterns. They are great for hand embroidery. I don't even know if one could machine do these patterns. You can go to her web site at crapapplehillstudios.com, I think.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 AM

I still do. Never have learned how to do it on the sewing machine. I'm still pretty much old school :D :D
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Hi Rhonda,
Yes, I do embroidery by hand. I don't own an embroidery machine and truthfully I don't want one. For me, there is nothing more beautiful than to see hand embroidery on any type of work. I belong to an organization named "Warm Hearts, Warm Babies" and I just finished embroidering several blocks to be made into a quilt.

Charlotte Stollsteimer
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Yes I do embroidery by hand. In my quilt class, we actually do handwork project on the side inbetween our quilt projects. Last year I did "periwinkle" houses which are colored with crayons, heat set and then embroidered. This year I'm doing a redwork alphabet. I don't really like the look of machine embroidery.