Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Dottymo just love your quilt.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Go look at sewsue's album called Susan's Journey in this forum and see her crazy quilt with amazing embroidery on it. It is breathtaking.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:53 PM

I don't but there were a lot of people doing hand embroidery in the waiting room when my hubby was in the critical care unit at the hospital.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Go look at sewsue's album called Susan's Journey in this forum and see her crazy quilt with amazing embroidery on it. It is breathtaking.
Awe thank you so much!
Old 05-08-2016, 01:55 AM

There are tons of hand embroidery vendors. This category has been enjoying a resurgence in shops. Jack Dempsey, crabapple Hill, Yoko Saito, Bird Brain, woolen projects, etc. To name a few.

Sandy
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 AM

I still hand embroidery quite a bit. I love to do it and use it to fill in bits of time here and there. I particularly enjoy redwork and have several squares done ready to put into a wall hanging. I also have a panel of carousel animals to do. I collect carousel figures for bedroom decor. I think there are also lots of people who do the hand work crafts. Embroidery is something you can do without a whole lot of expenditure and equipment. Embroidering something is a whole lot more satisfying than always playing with the phone apps! Uhg!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:40 PM

I still do. Was proficient in the 80's but now only from time to time.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:11 PM

I enjoy cross stitching Holiday themes. I have several framed for Christmas, one patriotic. I made white dish towel sets (7 days of the week) for each grandchild’s wedding shower. (1 more to go). I also have on hand a few embroidered dish towels since a couple of towels make a great birthday gift. I’ve started blocks for a baby girl quilt top but it’s a UFO. I had a box of old embroidered things made by Grandma & Mom. I backed the design with Wonder Under & cut around it them used machine decorative stitch to attach to white dish towels. Then I can wear them out with using because I don’t want to donate to thrift shop.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:55 PM

I do. I don't do it as much as I would like to, but I'm hoping to get back into it next year. I have always liked the look of hand embroidery. I recently bought several balls of perle cotton to use for some projects.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:39 AM

I, too, learned hand embroidery at a young age - long, long ago. Have not done any in years. I need to do some though. I am the 'keeper' of the family Christening gown. My plan is to hand embroider all of the children's names and birthdates on the gown. There are currently 3 generations to do. I'm expecting that the next generation will be just around the corner so I really need to get moving on this. Just haven't figured out how to go about it.

Thinking I will just type up some of the names/dates in my Word program in various sizes and fonts and hold behind the gown to see what seems most appropriate. Then I suppose I could lightly trace everything in pencil onto the gown?? Any thoughts as to a better method?? I think I'll use an ecru colored thread so it's not overwhelming. The gown itself was hand stitched by a friend of my grandmother's for my uncle's Christening. He is now 74.