Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mom just adopted a cat... but it is hiding... >

Mom just adopted a cat... but it is hiding...

Mom just adopted a cat... but it is hiding...

Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Mom just adopted a cat... but it is hiding...

My 87-year-old Mom just adopted a 3-yo kitty from the SPCA yesterday. We made the mistake of letting her out in the basement (where the litter box will be located) rather than setting her up in a small room upstairs to become used to her surroundings.

Yes, that was definitely a big mistake. While we were blocking off the sump hole so that she wouldn't be able to accidentally fall into it, she disappeared somewhere in the cellar and has not been seen since.

Mom puttered around down there all afternoon, but did not see or hear the cat at all. She (Mom) is pretty upset. She really wants a cat to keep her company, as her previous kitty died this past spring.

Is this hiding normal? We're worried about the new kitty, because she was just spayed, too, and we're supposed to be keeping an eye on the incision.

Ideas? Advice?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 PM

She probably will hide for a while. Make sure there is some food set out for her. Eventually she will get hungry and come out to eat. Give her time. She probably will come around. I rescued a very small kitten once that had come to work with a coworker via the engine compartment of his truck. He was a mess. I took him to the vet for an exam and shots and then brought him home and put him in a room. The 2nd day, we opened the door to the room so he could come out if he wanted and the other cats could start sniffing him out. I had 3 other cats at the time. He eventually started coming out to just play with the other cats. He would run if a human approached him. It took almost a year before I was able to pet him and once he figured out how good it felt, he couldn't get enough of the belly rubs!

Being as this is an older cat, it may take a while before she is comfortable. She just came from a shelter and had surgery. Lots of changes in her world. Make sure you have her litter box up and running. This way you will be able to see if she comes out of hiding when you or your mother aren't around. (and cats are clean, they don't like to go to the bathroom in their environment) Give her some time to adjust.

As for keeping an eye on her incision, cats do a very good job of caring for themselves. They don't tend to cause pain or harm to themselves. And cats have an incredible ability to heal themselves. Their bodies will fight off many infections that would take a dog or human down. I'm assuming she has the type of stitches that dissolve on their own.

(FYI, I just recently finished my schooling last month for my Associates Degree in Registered Vet Technology. Maybe I did learn something after all!!)

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 09-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM

poor kitty is afraid, just think how you would feel if you lost your home, had your belly messed with n it hurts, please do search for this baby and help mom.. show it love
look in the tinest of places where its dark...good luck
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM

We always had cats growing up new cats will do just that they will find a safe place where they are hidden until they realize they are safe they could stay in there a couple of days. Leave some food and water/milk out for them they will eventually wander out to eat and scope the place out. It normally doesn't last more than a week or two when they want some affection they will come out.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Poor baby. I put my fur baby in a big dog pen. When we let her out, she ran under tbe dresser. She came afound. I thnk its just natural to jide and ck you out from a distance. Have you mom speak in a soft voice and call her name. I just kept saying zoey over and over again. In a few days she was answering. She wwuldnt meow till she was a out 9 mos. Old. Now...shell carry on a conversation. Bezt of luck, keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

When I first got my cat, he was 2 years old and he did hide for a few days. He hid under my waterbed. I talked to him when I was in the room, but I left him alone, I didn't try to force him out. After a couple of days I saw him peeking out at me, I think he was curious. So I opened a can of tuna and fed him tiny bits, gave him lots of petting. He warmed up pretty quick after that. He was such a good cat - he was so affectionate he was more like a dog.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Leave this baby some food, water, a soft bed in a covered/hidden/'secure' place, and leave the door to upstairs open during the day in case she wants to investigate. I'll bet you'll find that she eats. If you will try canned/wet food instead of just dry (wet has more protein, which cats need), you will also be better able to tell if she is eating it.

Good luck with this poor traumatized little one.

Jan in VA
Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 AM

I am with Sheila. We adopted a traumatized cat several years back. She spent about ten days hiding under my bed, only slinking out to eat and use the litter box. A little at a time, her curiosity got the best of her, and she started exploring. Tell your mom to go slow, and she will have a best friend for many years!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I have two feral cats, kept them in a wire open cage with eveything they needed for a while. Closed the door to clean cage and litter box. I let them get use to me and that room before I let them go anywhere else. I had too many hiding places. I hope your Mom's cat will be the companion she wants.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 AM

I agree with setting out the food and water. It's a good way to see if she's still down there and you could set up some upstairs as well just in case the small thing did get out of the basement. If the food and water disappears in either place you'll know if and where she's at, or at least the area and you'll know she's ok because she's eating.