Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I have a curve >

Help - I have a curve

Help - I have a curve

Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Help - I have a curve

I am undertaking a pattern called Shadow Box, and once I got the rows attached and the sashing on each row.... They curve.

I want to make sure I have a chance of getting a square quilt before I sew these together..

The pics give you an idea of what I mean by a curve....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]367045[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]367048[/ATTACH]Ideas????
Attached Thumbnails shadowbox.jpg   shadowbox1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 AM

Been there done that but with a different pattern. I read in a Bargello book that reversing sides from which you sew your strips will eliminate the curves. As for your pickle, I would press the hack out of your finished pieces, pin them together, sew and then press some more. That is what I did. Maybe not the proper way to do it but it worked. Good luck. Also, I became very fond of spray starch. I over starch everything because it helps me manouver strips and reduce curves. Again probably not the proper way of doing it but I go with what works for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Your rows look beautiful even with the curve. It looks like the white on white is a less dense fabric than the boxes? Since you know that the white needs easing in, put the white on the bottom next to the feed dogs and sew two strips together. After sewing the two strips together iron and measure the two strips together and see if that has corrected the curve enough. If it has, sew the strips together in sets of two with the white strip always on the bottom and alternating sewing from the top down and the bottom up to further minimize curving in all the twosies. Re-evaluate at each stage of construction.
OR--You could also mist your strips and block them straight before proceeding. Find a large table and cover it with a surface you can pin to and draw marks of where you want the strip to measure. Mist a strip and pin it with non rust pins to the outline and let it dry in that position. This may correct the curve but make sure before MISTING that you don't have any bleeder fabrics.
OR--You could replace the white with a denser fabric but even then that doesn't guarantee you won't have the same problem and would be a heck of a lot of work!!!
OR--maybe someone else will give you a better idea, good luck.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I think I would probably remove the curvy ones and recut more. Make sure you cut straight. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM

I agree with Tartan that the light fabric may not be as tightly woven as the other fabrics. Before I cut long strips I always check to see how they stretch. Most patterns tell you to cut strips width of fabric because they should not stretch as much as length of fabric. I have found some fabrics are almost as stretchy width of fabric as length of fabric.

Be sure to PRESS, not IRON your blocks when blocking them. That helps eliminate the fabric curves. Also check you pressing surface. It needs to be firm so that the fabrics do stretch when pressing.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM

Try spraying with starch and ironing again. Instead of putting your fabric across the ironing board horizontially (end to end) try putting it vertically (across the width? - small part of your board, the way you have them now. If I have long stips to iron I do it that way with much better results, seems like it takes a little longer (having to move it) but I also get less curve than if I lay it all out on the board and iron the length of the strip. Hope this helps you. BTW your quilt is beautiful.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM

In the pictures it looks like they might be a little wider at certain spots. If that is the case, carefully measure and mark the seam line to follow and see if this helps. Almost looks like the long strips were cut with a bit of a curve.

Love this quilt and made one and am thrilled with it. I tried to post the picture, but it didn't work.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM

I was very careful when cutting the strips... so that isn't the issue... But I didn't know about the density of the fabrics having such an effect on the whole...

The white on white is not as dense as the other fabrics. Should I pull that out altogether and replace it with another more dense fabric?? UGH! Dang it. This is a gift for my brother - so I will do the extra work...

But first I am going to try sewing the two strips with the white on the bottom..
Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 AM

Did you cut each piece the same length size......or just use one long piece a merrily sew along.....
I have found from past expierence that does work for me as I must cut each piece the exact size....
did you square your blocks...before adding the sashing....if you cut it the exact size, did you half then
and then quarter mark and then pin.....I am just trying to pull anything I can from my feble brain.....
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Squared before putting in rows - Check...

I didn't cut the sashing to size, I just merrily sewed along... But - with stretch I can now see how that might have been a dumb thing to do..

Ah well, I am new at this - and have to learn things the hard way...