Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
thinking of buying ipad.....why??????? >

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM

I recently bought one and I love it. I read my email because it is cooler than my laptop. I watch videos and movies. It doesn't take up much room so you can watch and hear while you sew. I love it. If I download, I do have to go back to my laptop. Go for it.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM

That is what I want to do is Practice my free motion quilting on something. I have seen something before doing this but for the life of me I could not remember what was out there that would work for this. Could you tell us more on yours?
cstucke80
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 PM

I just got mine about a month ago. Still learning how to use it. I just bought the boggle app. All my other apps have been free. A friend showed me a really cool app for designing quilts (before I had mine). I need to ask her about that again because it was awesome. I do still mainly use my macbook for email but maybe that will change in time.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm typin this from my iPad. My iPad is the older version so it doesn't take pictures. It would never replace my lap top but I sure love it.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 AM

This is a really interesting thread. I have a MacBook Pro which I love. It is in my sewing room most of the time but I still think it would be nice to have a tablet right by the sewing machine. Basically, I'm only interested in two things. Watching the Craftsy classes and having access to Audio Book that I can download from the public library. I know all the tablets let you rent audio books but I like FREE.

I got burned with an iPod a couple of years ago. I purchased it for the sole purpose of downloading audio books from the library. I thought it would be the same deal as having an MP3. Well, it isn't. I never was successful at getting the audio books from the library. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I have Wi-Fi at home so I don't really care about having cellular access for whatever tablet I get. This iPad Mini is looking very appealing to me. I'm fortunate to have an Apple store very close to me and they are wonderful with support.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 AM

One other thought - one poster mentioned not needing 3G or cellular access because of having wifi at home. I would highly recommend getting the one with 3G, or 4G to use on the road if you do any traveling at all. I LOVE using my iPad while traveling. The Maps feature is wonderful for finding roads to get back on track after a poorly marked detour. There is an app called "Around Me" that helps you find the nearest MacDonalds or nearest hospital or nearest gas station, etc. That app I have used so often! Also, it is just fun turning on the satellite view on Maps and watching the surrounding countryside from the birdseye view as you travel down the road! Yes, you can do most of these things with a smartphone and/or a GPS, but the iPad screen is so much easier to view because of its size! I love my iPad!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 AM

mermaid, are the quilt apps free? I just bought the ipad 4 yesterday so I'm brand new to it. I got a magazine to read on it and now I can't find it, lol
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 AM

how do I get the missouri star quilt app? it says no results for it on my ipad
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 AM

They keep making things smaller. Im older and my eyes are not what they used to be.
My computer has a nice big screen so will stick with that.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
how do I get the missouri star quilt app? it says no results for it on my ipad
I went to the app store and typed in Missouri Star quilt and it came right up. I already found a table topper that I want to make today!