My featherweight

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Default My featherweight

This is my new featherweight machine. Uk model. Since it came home I have only used this machine. So easy and convenient and light to move. Came with the case and the papers and handbook. It only has one foot but I'm sure I will rectify that soon. Love it love it love it. Best purchase for a long time.
Is it true you clever people that the original white's were black machines painted white?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 AM

Nice machine, will have one in my collection one of these days. I never seen that color of a case either. Enjoy.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 AM

White featherweights were some of the last Featherweights that Singer made and were not repainted black machines. Featherweights were expensive machines to make and Singer by this time was trying to cut costs. White Featherweights do not have the silver metal face plates, have shorter machine beds and the stitch regulator knobs are plastic. The cords were wired directly into the machine and the accessories were packed in a cardboard box rather than having a separate tray. Some of the cases were a hard fibreboard like yours and others (especially in Canada) were softer vinyl like leather squarish looking small boxes (almost like carry on luggage) in gray or turquoise blue. Your machine was probably manufactured in the early 1960's. I worked for a Singer dealer as a teen (1969) and saw some of the very last Featherweights sold as new machines (some had been sitting for a few years by then). I wanted one but just couldn't afford the $149 for a white Featherweight in a turquoise case.

Last edited by Shelbie; 11-13-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Congratulations on your new FW. I love mine and use them all the time!!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Congratulations on your cute, little find! I just got my first one last week, and I'm loving her!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your new machine! Great case too! You will love it! Happy sewing~
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 AM

You will love her! I've never seen a white one. My little FW (Sally) will sew on anything with no complaints. Recently had to sew on a lot of fleece and my big, fancy computerized machine kept doing crazy things in protest. Just scooted over to Sally & will always let her have those projects
Congratualtions.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
This is my new featherweight machine. Uk model. Since it came home I have only used this machine. So easy and convenient and light to move. Came with the case and the papers and handbook. It only has one foot but I'm sure I will rectify that soon. Love it love it love it. Best purchase for a long time.
Is it true you clever people that the original white's were black machines painted white?
If you need feet or anything else, check out my website: www.thequiltgal.com.
Congrats on your new featherweight!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM

No, they were not formerly black machines. I have 2 and love them. It's easy to find attachments from some of the dealers. I buy boxes of them from Goodwill and estate sales and put them together as a set. I've given out several to other lucky owners.