Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Book >

Stitch Book

Stitch Book

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Default Stitch Book

Has anyone ever stitched out all the stitches their sewing machine would stitch? If you have, would you please hsare your experience, advise and suggestions?

I'm planning on making one and am not sure how's the best way to do it.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM

I have also thought about doing that --- BUT have not done it yet.
I did see someones once, she played with the stitches by adjusting the length and width. Also she used different threads on top and bobbin. She also played with variegated. All were denoted the 'changes' she tried.

A person could spend all day just 'playing'.

I will have to watch and see what suggestions everyone post.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM

I did this when I first got my machine. I took two scraps and put w&n between them and started from the beginning and went through to the end. I cannot tell you how often I use this "sampler"!!! The actual stitch is very different from the styalized symbol and I can get the "feel" for what will work best. Some stitches don't work well with batting and that was important information to gain, but I found if I went more slowly the stitch designs would come out well even done in a sandwich. The few times I don't consult this sampler it is because I'm going back to a favorite stitch and don't need to "see" it again. It is one of the most useful things I've ever done for myself.

Be sure to do it in the order of the stitches on your read-out and be sure to number them completely for ease of access. You'll be glad you did this! A real time saver!!! There must be a couple of hundred stitches!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Sierra, thank you for posting your experience with the sampler. This is something I should (change that to could) do to get more use out of the machine features. It is a shame that I haven't taken the time to really learn more about the machine I have owned for five years. Congrats on doing this sampler when you first got your machine.

I will start on this today!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM

During class for my Bernina 830, they encouraged me to make a book of stitches to keep handy. I think I will do it because you could find the stitch you want so much faster than going through the Que on the machine.
Originally Posted by Momyar View Post
Has anyone ever stitched out all the stitches their sewing machine would stitch? If you have, would you please hsare your experience, advise and suggestions?

I'm planning on making one and am not sure how's the best way to do it.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM

I think I must do this also. If I knew what the hundreds of stitches on my Pfaff and Brother really looked like, I'd use them more often.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Thank you all. This is one of my goals for 2013. I just purchased several more cams for my Singer 503A and intend to catalog every stitich along with those built in on my Viking. I have owned the 503 since 1963 or 64 and have never used them.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM

I like the idea of doing samples of the same stitch with different settings (length and width) plus the different use of threads. You ladies are really on the ball.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Pfaff used to put pages in their manuals covering all feet. The showed pictures of the foot or technique and left you a place to staple or glue your sample.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM

I have the little icons on my Pfaff but haven't stitched them out myself. I guess I just haven't taken the time but it would be a good idea.