Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Homemade spray glue >

Homemade spray glue

Homemade spray glue

Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 AM

Default Homemade spray glue

Make your own spray baste glue
I am in the process of string piecing a bunch of quilt blocks, and I decided to use up some scrap batting to make the blocks. I glued the batting to the backing, and this is the glue I used.

Spray Glue

Boil 3 cups water, add 1/2 tsp salt. Reduce heat to medium, whisk 3 Tbsp flour into the water, a pinch at a time. Continue whisking to break up the flour, and cook until it thickens to a consistency of egg white, or maybe gravy.
Cool to room temperature.
Fill a clean spray bottle 1/4 full of rubbing alcohol. Add water/flour to fill the bottle, leaving a little room to shake. Cap it. Shake well before each use.
I don't know how big your spray bottle will be, that's why I tell you to use 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water/flour.

This glue is wonderful for QAYG blocks. I cut my backing, lay my batting, lift the batting 1/2 way, spray the glue lay the batting back down onto the backing, and do the same to the other half of the block. When it's dry I can gently shake the backing/batting block and it stays glued. I am able to lay my top and quilt it on the machine. I Don't Know if it would work on a bigger quilt.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

Thank you for posting this - you can be sure that I will mix some up and try it on my next quilt! I have been using Elmer's Washable School Glue to baste with but I can't get it to spray out of the bottle properly. I will likely iron it as I go along to make the process go along quicker.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Hmmm I gotta try this!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing this recipe. can't wait to try it out
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks - I've added this to my 'Favorites.' I'll be watching this thread to see what others say after they've tried it. Sounds like another great idea to save money - and frustration at 2am!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Thanks - I've added this to my 'Favorites.' I'll be watching this thread to see what others say after they've tried it. Sounds like another great idea to save money - and frustration at 2am!
ditto ... like you, I'm interested, but hesitant!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM

I did try that at one time. And I found that if your making a queen or bigger quilt then a laptop or such using that formula I got a little mold forming between the batting and the fabric, I worked on that quilt for several months then noticed the mold. It would probably work better on a quilt your doing up right off and going to wash right after.

Donna
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Hi Joanne...is there a link to favorits on this site? If so where do you find it?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Donna P View Post
I did try that at one time. And I found that if your making a queen or bigger quilt then a laptop or such using that formula I got a little mold forming between the batting and the fabric, I worked on that quilt for several months then noticed the mold. It would probably work better on a quilt your doing up right off and going to wash right after.

Donna
If ya heat set it w/a iron wouldn't it prevent this?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Donna P View Post

Donna
Hmmm. I've only been using this for a few months, (I'm strip piecing a QAYG) I've never noticed a problem w/ mold. I would have thought the rubbing alcohol would have prevented this. Something I've gotta watch for. Thanks.