Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go help >

Quilt as you go help

Quilt as you go help

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM

Default Quilt as you go help

am looking for a good tutorial on QAYG, preferably not a video. Any ideas? I get the main concept, but the final step of closing up the backing is what is confusing me. I would really like one that is a completely machine stitched, instead of having to hand stitch anything. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM
cjr

Most of the directions I've seen all say hand sew binding. I do not. I do the entire quilt on my DSM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Check out the QAYG challenge thread on this board. Don't know how to do a link. I've been reading it to figure out how to do the whole process.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson might help. Your local library might have a copy available.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 AM
JT

Check out the Cotton theory books. your library probably has them.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
am looking for a good tutorial on QAYG, preferably not a video. Any ideas? I get the main concept, but the final step of closing up the backing is what is confusing me. I would really like one that is a completely machine stitched, instead of having to hand stitch anything. Thanks!
Here is a method I use
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Quilt As You Go By Kimberly.doc (1.13 MB, 407 views)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Here is a method I use
WOW I just read your tutorial it is excellent, very clear and easy to follow (not necessarily for me to do lol) Your pictures are very good as well, I have bookmarked it and hope to give it a try on practice fmq blocks.....thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Here is a method I use
Thank you! I just saved that for future reference! Looks like very clear instructions to me!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Check out Bayside Quilting's Fun and Done quilts. The website has a video to show you how to make it. If you wish to, they have patterns for sale and templates to use with the patterns. I needed to make a baby quilt and the templates that they sell were too big for the pattern that I wanted to make. So I went to the dollar store, bought some flexible cutting mats, and made the size templates that I needed. It turned out beautiful and there was NO handstitching at all. I designed my own pattern, but, if you choose you can certainly purchase patterns from their website. Also, I just received my copy of Annie's Quilt and Sew March 2013 catalog and on page 54 they have 3 Fun and Done quilt patterns and the Batting Buddy templates for sale. The nice thing about this method is that when you are done with making the block, you fold the sashing and stitch it down, you are done. I am going to use this method to make a Mariner's Compass block. Give it a try you might like it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Oh wow, so nice to see that my QAYG tutorial is still being referenced. If anyone has any questions or needs a more detailed description of any step please dont hesitate to send me a PM, Im always glad to help. Kimberly