Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody get overwhelmed by their stash? >

Does anybody get overwhelmed by their stash?

Does anybody get overwhelmed by their stash?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
Part of my stash is organized on boards and in tubs but the problem is I have run out of room..Um until I get a sewing room that has more room I just dream and tolerate the disorganization.
mjhaess- know just how you feel, until I get a sewing room I am out of room. and have material in totes. Maybe someday. When I hear girls talking about big sewing rooms I am green. Oh well, no sense worrying about it.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM

I have a 2nd bedroom loaded with fabric and can barely get in there. Thanks so much everyone for the inspiration to get in there and get it organized/ Good advise from everyone. I had to laugh over the comment from the uk about being a fabric collector and an occasional quilter. I am going to start right now and spend 15 min on this snowy day in Chicago and work on that 2nd bedroom.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

My "stash" started to get out of hand when my DH insisted that I move my sewing room to my daughter's BR after he took over my son's room (they were both not living at home at the time). His thinking was that we would save on heating and cooling bills if I just had one small room, instead of 1/4 of the basement. The problem was that I would look for something upstairs, think I didn't have that particular fabric or color of fabric and go buy more. I also inherited fabrics from friends who knew I quilted and made crafts for the church fair, as well as fabrics used for crafts for the church fair because people started recognizing the fabric. Then my sister was moving to a small apt. and guess what? She gave me part of her stash, and the list goes on and on, the stash snowballed. When we lost the house and had to downsize from a 3-bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apt., I literally gave away half my fabric stash and when my husband wanted me to get rid of more, put my foot down, telling him that if we didn't have money to buy new fabric, the least I could do was keep what I had so that I could still quilt and not buy much fabric. That worked for a while, then I fell, had a ruptured C -4-5 disk, with surgery and over 4 months of rehab and while in rehab one of the therapists asked if I would like some fabric she had been given by her friend, that she was probably not going to use. Imagine my surprise when she brought in this huge bag of fabric, nearly 40 yards in all; so while I make many quilts - happily I can again - I feel I've become a fabric magnet and fabric finds me. LOL I guess I'll just have to keep quilting and sewing, oh did I mentioned we have an almost 3 year old DGD who loves dresses and would like "MiMi" to make her things, so I need fabric right? It's and endless cycle and circle, so I'm just going with the flow and quilting as fast as I can.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Oh...I feel your pain!!!! I have one quilt in progress and am stuck on quilting it machine messes up. I also have 4 placemats I am quilting for Mom. I see all my fabric ans I am overwhelmed-but excited about colors and fabric and want to go to next project.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 PM

This must be something we all do from time too time.
I am also overwhelmed, I get nothing done. I am either looking for something I have or trying to make more room, which I never have enough of ... lol
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM

I am on a fabric diet this year and part of last year. I have told myself I have to finish at least one UFO(preferably 2) to start something new. I have been buying very little fabric. I have made my last several quilts from my stash. Can you sort of hide some of it from yourself or move it to another room? Sew in one room and shop in another? Sometimes my stash overwhelms me too.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM

I got into purchasing "sale" fabric many years ago ! It became so overwhelming trying to remember all that I had.
After many times of trying to organizing it all & still getting no sewing done I decided to sell lots & lots of it !!
I enjoyed purchasing many panels (years ago) that were cut & sew projects & made many for consignment shops.
But now I want to continue to make more quilts so again I am selling off my craft fabric stash.
We all sooner or later realize our fabric stash will be too much to sew in 5 life times but it sure was fun collecting our stashes.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM

no stash all i have is less than a yard quick work to take car of dgs and dgd so what little i had been used so trying my hand at i spy after i finish my around the world
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM

I recently semi-organized my fabrics. It is so wonderful to go to my sewing area and pick something I likwe out of the 'Blue' bin, etc. After sorting through all that fabric, I may never have to go to the fabric store to 'feel' the fabrics.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM

You (and me) got there with major steps, now we have to take more steps to move away from that. I got way to many UFO's, but I am slowly whittling them down.