Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandson pieces first quilt top! >

Grandson pieces first quilt top!

Grandson pieces first quilt top!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Grandson pieces first quilt top!

Last summer, I taught our GS how to piece. He really took to it and requested more quilting lessons during his spring break. We traveled out there this week to do just that. This amazing 5th grader finished his first lap sized top two days ago! Now I'm taking the top to the longarmer and he'll learn how to bind it when he visits us July 4th. To make this even more special, he pieced this using his beloved Nana's (my DH's first wife) sewing machine. She passed away six years ago but we all try to make sure GS keeps her close in memory. BTW, all fabric, size and layout decisions were his own and, as you see, he chose to use nine patch over four. The sewing machine is now his to keep. It's a really nice mechanical Elna. He had purchased an inexpensive machine for himself (his money!) but he has "graduated" to Nana's Elna. He earned it!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Oh, where's the photo???
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

What an enjoyable year you've had with him. I have a GS like that; they are such a blessing!

Jan in VA
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Would love to see the picture. It is fun to teach a young, willing child. They have no fear of making mistakes or not being good enough - I guess that's confidence! You will be in his memory forever because of the time you spend with him sewing.

I tell my niece and nephew that one day they'll be MUCH better at quilting than I am - they're starting earlier and have more time to learn the craft.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Yes, please! Would love to see a photo!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM

I have a picture but it is beyond me on my Mac to upload it. I read the help file on uploading pictures:

select the “insert image” icon on top of the message box. This icon looks like a framed picture of a tree.

I have yet to locate an icon (ANY icon) at the top of the message box let alone one that looks like a tree. I feel so DUMB and I am desperate to show y'all what a grand job he did. Sigh~

PS. Thank you, Jan. You are such a lovely gal and such a help to all of us!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM

That's amazing! My grandma taught me how to sew when I was just a little girl, many years ago, now. Although she passed away, every time I quilt or sew it is like having a conversation with her.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Jim

Congrats to your grandson for his new craft. My oldest grandson ( a third grader age 8)wants to learn to quilt this summer. So we are going to do just that. Again, tell your grandson that there are 1000's of quilter's on the QB that said congrats.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM

That is wonderful. I hope you can figure out how to load the picture.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
QM
Power Poster

type "uploading photos" in the search box. It will give you the instructions you need. We would like to see the photos.