Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 AM

Default Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

I was looking at all those "non quilting" objects that you all have snatched from everythwre & it dawned on me we must have a ton of stuff purchased that was absolutely a bad mistake.

Let's get together & name names & point the finger at these things that did not work as specified, so others won't make the same mistake we did.

Oh yes, let us not forget classes, books & sewing machine gadgets too!

OK, that said - here are my latest flops -

Box of large quilting pins from Wally World, Dritz I believe.
Back in the day, that name was reliable, but not any more. One stab at my 3 sandwich layers & that pin buckled up in a distorted glob & broke in two pieces. They are not made of metal like they used to be...some aluminum &^&^%%.

Blue marking pen - again, same brand & store.
Did not even mark once....all dried up & totally useless, sucking on it & dipping in water never budged a drop of blue to appear.

Your turn....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I like new tools and gadgets and I buy to try them out. I don't consider any of them a waste of money. I learned not to by the cheaper basics like pins, scissors, needles. That is always a waste of money in the long run.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM

simplicity rotary cutting machine. Fortunately it was a gift so no cost to me, but I feel bad not using something a friend paid a good bit of money for. I can not get it to cut straight. It is ok for cutting scraps into strings if you don't care if they are perfectly straight but that is all, IMHO.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM

A large spool thingie that hung around my neck with binding on it. I am back to putting the binding in a plastic baggie and letting it reel out of that from off the floor.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 AM

I also got the Simplicity Strip cutter as a gift used it once and sold it to a friend only after letting her try it and telling herwhat a worthless expensive gadgetit is. She insisted she could make it work. It sits on her shelf now!

I also got the June Tailor Pintastic Pin Dispenser as a gift. Didn't even take it out of the box; promptly returned it to Hancock Fabrics with friends blessing. http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Pi.../dp/B004W8WFNG
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 AM

I'm sure there were a few, but I'm actually not in the mood to point fingers or lay blame. There were some pins that out of 150, there were about 12 with very blunt tips. No big deal. Some items (rulers) I use less than others, but they may work perfectly fine for someone else's needs. At this point, quilting nearly a decade, I'm pretty confident to buy what I think I would get value out of.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 AM

I have a few things I've never used, a couple were gifts and the others were my fault (should have known better). I love Clover glass head pins and large curved safety pins for sandwiching.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 AM

The second quilt class I took was too face paced for me. The wall hanging is part of my UFO list. Instead of the fancy borders the pattern called for, I am going to use plain borders and maybe a small block in the corners. It's really a small project to finish. I haven't taking a class since then, but I'd like to take some more at some point.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM

As a fairly new quilter (just started last May) I would read and feel like I had to go out and get this or that because all the quilters have it so it must be a necessity! Well, about the only things I have used on a regular basis is the cutting mat, long ruler, and rotary cutter. I did purchase a new machine in December and that has really been good. Those pins you talked about....I bet I threw out 1/3 or more of them because they would have blunt ends that wouldn't go through the fabric or bent when I tried pushing through. Kinda gave those up in favor of the elmer's glue and I did purchase a set of those clover clips. I do like the clips. I am sure as I get into more complicated stuff I will want or need other things. But, as my grandmother often said....some lessons are best learned the hard way! or 'ain't no lesson like a bought lesson.'
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM

One of those red gun thingies for basting a quilt. Got it at WalMart...what a waste (at least for me).

Diannia